Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think?

We sold a house in California earlier this year. As with all sales, we completed a Disclosure Form. However, for the first time it included one question. "Is your house haunted?"

It's behind us so I really don't care about it, but I'm curious. What kind of garbage is this? By asking the question, they're assuming that the seller believes in ghosts. However, what if a seller doesn't believe in ghosts or its a religious issue where answering such a thing would be a violation of their religious convictions? How would someone answer that question, or could they just line it out as ridiculous and unworthy of any attention?

I went ahead and answered it by checking the, "No" box. Personally, I thought it was plain old stupid, but I thought I'd ask the professionals what they thought of such a disclosure question.

I can also guess why it's there. Some buyer bought a house and then claimed that it was haunted, whether their claim was honest or dishonest. After pursuing the matter they must have won a court case and were paid off by the sellers or the real estate agent. Otherwise, why would such a thing even be there?

So, what do you guys think and what would you do if your seller refused to answer that question, either based on their lack of belief in ghosts or by a religious conviction that disallowed belief in such things? I can't see the seller being forced to answer it or a real estate company being able to refuse to take a listing because the sellers reasonably exercised their religious convictions. It kinda' sounds like a Catch-22 for the real estate company.

Last edited by garth; 07-23-2007 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
What do you guys think?

We sold a house in California earlier this year. As with all sales, we completed a Disclosure Form. However, for the first time it included one question. "Is your house haunted?"

It's behind us so I really don't care about it, but I'm curious. What kind of garbage is this? By asking the question, they're assuming that the seller believes in ghosts. However, what if a seller doesn't believe in ghosts or its a religious issue where answering such a thing would be a violation of their religious convictions? How would someone answer that question, or could they just line it out as ridiculous and unworthy of any attention?

I went ahead and answered it by checking the, "No" box. Personally, I thought it was plain old stupid, but I thought I'd ask the professionals what they thought of such a disclosure question.

I can also guess why it's there. Some buyer bought a house and then claimed that it was haunted, whether their claim was honest or dishonest. After pursuing the matter they must have won a court case and were paid off by the sellers or the real estate agent. Otherwise, why would such a thing even be there?

So, what do you guys think and what would you do if your seller refused to answer that question, either based on their lack of belief in ghosts or by a religious conviction that disallowed belief in such things? I can't see the seller being forced to answer it or a real estate company being able to refuse to take a listing because the sellers reasonably exercised their religious convictions. It kinda' sounds like a Catch-22 for the real estate company.
How is it different from a mold house or a meth house? If a house is forever haunted by a patch of mold under a sink or a rumored meth lab in a back bathroom why should ghosts not be a reasonable deficiency?

While consistency in dealing with the absurd is not required there is no rule against it.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
I wonder if that's a new law? An old boyfriend of mine said when his parents sold their house in CA, they didn't have to disclose that is was haunted even though they felt it was. They were told, had someone been murdered there, then they would have to disclose that. Would love to hear from a CA agent on this one.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
Yeah, we've bought and sold well more than once. It must be something new. The 2nd to our last sale was a another SFH we had in town. It was sold about 2 years prior to the latest sale I wrote about. On that one no ghost questions were asked on the disclosure.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times
Quote:
What do you guys think?

I'm with you, I think the question is garbage. It is ludicrous to assume everyone believes in ghosts.

This post is somewhat ironic to me...I was taking my daughters out to eat earlier this evening. Not knowing that my girls had already gone out to the car to wait for me, I got up from the computer to go put on my shoes. I heard one of my girls fiddling around upstairs, so I left the mudroom and went to the dining room area to call upstairs to tell my daughter to hurry up. When I got to the stairs I realized I was the only one in the house...upstairs was totally dark and none of my kids would stay alone in pitch blackness.

My question is...do I have to share that story when I get ready to leave my house? LOL!!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:31 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
if a Seller doesn't believe in ghosts or tooth fairies, then it's an easy question to answer honestly...'No'

A Seller's Sales Disclosure Statement is based on what the Seller knows at the time the statement is completed and signed. Now after a Seller fills out the Disclosure Statement and a ghost appears, does the Seller have to supplement the Statement by checking the box 'Yes'?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
What do you guys think?

You've got to be kidding me is the first comment that comes to mind on this one and I can tell you it would probably have been exactly what my dh would have written right next to the question. Is this what we've come to, disclosing ghosts

Old 07-24-2007, 10:15 AM

72,417 posts, read 18,202,018 times
You need to disclose if someone died or killed/murdered in the house in the past 3 years

Old 07-24-2007, 10:24 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
You need to disclose if someone died or killed/murdered in the house in the past 3 years

the farm house in the movie 'In Cold Blood' comes to mind.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 PM

72,417 posts, read 18,202,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
the farm house in the movie 'In Cold Blood' comes to mind.
You mean Capote's move? Murder? Anything exciting there to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate