Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,647 times

Advertisements

I am building a new house. The contractor is a very respected man in the community and all the jobs that he showed to me seem to be good quality homes. Here comes my issue. He just stated building my house and he choose to start building the foundation the day before a heavy rain. Well, the ground was very wet before he started the foundation and once he poured the concrete, it started raining again the next day. Does anyone knows what if I can expect any long term problems? Is it OK to pour the foundation during inclement weather? It didn't rain the day the foundation was poured. Is it normal to place gravel inside the foundation while the home is being built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:07 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
Moisture actually helps slow the curing process and the result is stronger concrete (fails at a higher compressive PSI). It's a good practice to keep it damp for at least a couple of weeks. So long as the rain wasn't heavy enough to damage anything or make the surface unlevel I'm not seeing any problems here...

Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
I agree with Steve. Fresh concrete is often covered with burlap bags and periodically sprayed with water to keep the concrete moist. It can dry out too quickly and get cracks. I'd worry about concrete if it was poured in the height of a Phoenix summer and not kept moist. Concrete is porous. Any water underneath will either seep down in the earth or will seep up and either flow through or react with the concrete and aid its curing.

When you hire experts you should respect their expertise because that's what you hired them for. When you try to second guess them you're pitting a novice against an expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate