Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Let's see...you bought a brand new spec house...and now all the buyers are so "me" oriented that they won't look at/buy your house because they want all the latest and greatest even though it will cost them more. How is that "sad sad sad" and didn't you do the same thing a few years ago when you bought new??
Timtheguy
This is not about or my current house, this is about what others think about new vs older, and guess what, I'll be buying another house when I sell mine, so I'm looking at the majority of the population thinks in terms of resell and what I should be looking at in terms of resale value on my next home.

I shouldn't have to defend myself to someone like you, but since you asked, I bought my home new in 2001. Was the first time I ever bought new, but in 2001 (in my area) there were few resale homes being sold, or even newly constructed ones. We knew what we wanted (3 BR plus bonus) but that was a rarity then and when we found one, it was quickly snatched up. It was dumb luck we found our house, which is 4 BR plus Bonus, office, at a good price. WE weren't crazy then about a spec house, but since we weren't able to find a resale then, we opted to go with it. I'm not saying all new construction is bad at all, depends on what you want. In my case, I simply think it was the builder and we had to keep calling him back on things that were just not right.

As I said, I do think it's sad to see all the homes on the market now. I'm sorry you are so unhappy in your 1974 home, but as I see it, as the old saying goes, it does not matter if you buy used or new, EVERYBODY lives in a used home. Just like EVERYBODY drives a used car.
So these responses are helping me determine what I should be looking into my next home, because, when I purchase a home, I look at it as an investment/resale. I'm not one to buy on emotions so the glitter/jazz doesn't hold much hype with me, but I understand it does for others, so should I be looking at granite counters in my next home? Should I go for stainless steel appliances (even though I personally don't like the look and think it will be out of style before you can say olive green)?
Since you have so much wisdom, please grace us with your intelligence instead of your rude remarks.....

Last edited by PotterGeek; 07-31-2007 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: added text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Depends on the wood paneling..if it's REAL wood, I am all for KEEPING it. I'd rather have it than plaster walls any day of the week. We looked at a house built 50+ years ago that had wormy chestnut walls in the living room, dining room, and kitchen. ABSOLUTELY beautiful.

Some people think it's too dark but I am not one of them and neither is my husband.

I guess that's why we LOVE old houses.

And who knows what we do to houses now that in 50 years will be considered *god awful*. Liz
That panelling in the right home would be to die for....my friend's home built 100 years ago by her grand parents..the wood work it's just beautiful

BUT I do know what the poster means by Brady Bunch look and that awful paneling

Old 07-31-2007, 10:45 AM

Hey, some paneling I do love is that wainscotting! Painted white w/ white trim I think is so pretty! What are ya'll's thoughts on that type panelling, or is it a no-no????

I know what you mean about the older style panelling, my mom has it in her home and she keeps threatening to tear it down...

Old 07-31-2007, 10:46 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Sometimes folks do get a little carried away with "updating" an older home. I wouldn't be surprised if some folks don't paint over that real woodwork that's found in 100-yr old houses.

One house I showed clients was a fix and flip. It had a beutiful original granite stone fireplace that was full stones, set by hand. The "fixer" thought new and sleek would be a good update (mind you this home is in the pines, where "rustic" is the norm), and PAINTED THE STONES TAN! My clients ended up purchasing the home, but stipulated that the paint had to be stripped.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:15 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
Yes..I am talking about that "paneling" LOL..the same way I am talking about "That linoleum flooring"..not the new hipster trendy hgtv stuff..but THAT paneling.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Hey, some paneling I do love is that wainscotting! Painted white w/ white trim I think is so pretty! What are ya'll's thoughts on that type panelling, or is it a no-no????

I know what you mean about the older style panelling, my mom has it in her home and she keeps threatening to tear it down...
I like the look of that in some homes, especially kitchens and bathrooms. I've seen some very nice creative color schemes as well..wainscotting one color and the remainder of the wall a contrasting complimentary color

Old 07-31-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I like the look of that in some homes, especially kitchens and bathrooms. I've seen some very nice creative color schemes as well..wainscotting one color and the remainder of the wall a contrasting complimentary color
Yes, yes, this is what I'm talking about...like in the kitchens and baths and it goes up about 1/2 way and the wainscotting is white and the top (wall) is painted some other color...

I would love to do that in the next home we move to, but if majority feels its a turnoff in terms of resale, I'll just forego it.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:08 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
That panelling in the right home would be to die for....my friend's home built 100 years ago by her grand parents..the wood work it's just beautiful
Some people even paint or get rid of THAT paneling...

Now if that's not criminal, I don't know what is. Liz

Old 07-31-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Yes, yes, this is what I'm talking about...like in the kitchens and baths and it goes up about 1/2 way and the wainscotting is white and the top (wall) is painted some other color...

I would love to do that in the next home we move to, but if majority feels its a turnoff in terms of resale, I'll just forego it.
Depends on the syle of the home...if it's a brandy new construction..don't think it would work, again just my opinion.

If it's one of those 30s,40s,50s style bungalow homes I think it would look great.

If you like the look though go for it..it's your home just don't glue it down..use finishing nails ...much easier to remove if need be

Old 07-31-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Some people even paint or get rid of THAT paneling...

Now if that's not criminal, I don't know what is. Liz
That is criminal.

I have seen people on a budget paint over Brady Bunch paneling ( don't think that crap is real wood, just a veneer) due to budget and if they took it down the whole wall needed to be redone as it was glued as well as nailed. Didn't look bad and brightened the room.

But REAL wood panelling..that would be a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate