Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 01:21 PM

10 posts, read 26,587 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to replace 3 A/C (PTAC) wall units at a "reduced" cost of ~$2,000 in total for a 2 bed/2 bath 1,140 SF condo in Hoboken (NJ) that can be classified as "just a notch below luxury". The current A/C units are about 11 years old -- the same as the condo building itself.

I plan to sell the condo unit in a year, but for now, I am renting it out to a tenant through February 2012. The current A/C units are working, but I'm concerned about the one in the master bedroom failing w/in the next year, and the overall ability of the other two to survive through the future home sale.

The question is -- is it worth replacing all three units now (at a "reduced" cost) or just 2 of the units (i.e., the 2 bedrooms or the master bedroom and the living area)? The "savings" from just replacing 2 units is about $700-750 now, but if the 3rd unit breaks down later, that cost is likely to be about $1,000-$1,200.

I need to decide by this Friday to take advantage of the reduced rate for replacement.

Any and all comments are welcomed! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
For selling that $2,000 could go to a lot better use. As long as they are working when you sell (better now than August) no one will care that much. They will be looking at the kitchen and bathroom, floors, closet space. Also, never hurts to spend a few $ on the front yard to make it colorful and welcoming.

Of course, if you decide not to do it, at least one of the units will die before June.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 AM

64 posts, read 195,582 times
I'm not sure how much your condo maybe worth but $2000 sounds a pretty good deal to me and a worthwhile investment. I agree with bisjoe that initially buyers are probably not looking at AC units as long as they work. But the new AC's could be a positive marketing point. Have other owners started replacing their AC units? Also, if you don't replace them now, it could be something that comes up in the inspection (or not).

We replaced our furnace this past Fall - even knowing that we would probably try to sell our home in the Spring. Now we don't expect to get a full return on it (when we sell) but we do think it adds some value to our house or at least makes it a little bit easier to sell. And, we did it before winter so that we'd at least get one season out of it and not have to worry about it dying in the middle of a cold snap. (It was on borrowed time.)

Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,325,014 times
$2000 seems like a small investment to pay now rather than later. It could also be the difference of your home selling before a potential neighbors. I'd weigh out the condition of the property, see where the money would be best spent and how much money you will end up with when you sell.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:21 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,797 times
It sounds like a good plan. New units could give your condo an edge over what else may be available. Also, potential buyers could ask for a credit for new units at the higher price if they are beyond redemption at the time of sale.

I'd do it but that's jmho.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:10 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
It will be a plus to show their are new a/c units and could give an edge if there are quite a few other units you are competing with but if the current units are working fine it might be better to use the funds elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate