Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 AM

220 posts, read 836,151 times

Advertisements

What's your thought on Owner's Title Insurance? I'm contemplating whether to buy it or not to buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzone View Post
What's your thought on Owner's Title Insurance? I'm contemplating whether to buy it or not to buy it.
Owner's title insurance protects you from someone contesting your ownership of the property. The lender purchased title insurance does not protect you as the owner of the property, it only protects the lender.

Buy owner's title insurance when refinancing a mortgage | www.clarkhoward.com

http://www.homeclosing101.org/whyneed.cfm

http://www.insure.com/articles/homeinsurance/title.html

Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
As which party? Buyer or Seller? How long has the seller owned this property? Does the seller have an owner's policy from when they bought it?

I would never own a property without a title insurance policy.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
As which party? Buyer or Seller? How long has the seller owned this property? Does the seller have an owner's policy from when they bought it?

You can order an abstract and make a decision. I always get it; but I don't always buy it for my buyers.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

I'm a buyer. The sellers owned the home for about 2-3 years and I don't know whether they had owner's title insurance or not. I think the current owner(s) did renovation without permits. Based on that fact alone, I think it is a good idea to spend on the title insurance.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
I'm a buyer. The sellers owned the home for about 2-3 years and I don't know whether they had owner's title insurance or not. I think the current owner(s) did renovation without permits. Based on that fact alone, I think it is a good idea to spend on the title insurance.
I agree, I wouldn't buy property without getting owner's insurance. Be sure the policy you get includes coverage for permit issues. Most standard policies don't without paying for expanded coverage.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks. I asked my closings attorney to get the Eagle policy from First American which add additional coverages...

1. The EAGLE Policy is our most comprehensive coverage. Subject to availability in your area, the Eagle Policy covers all of the risks listed above, plus these:
  2. Post-policy forgery against the insured interest.
  3. Forced removal of residential improvements due to lack of an appropriate building permit (subject to deductible).
  4. Post-policy construction of improvements by a neighbor onto insured land.
  5. Damage to residential structures from use of the surface of insured land for extraction or development of minerals.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:20 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times
Quote:
Thanks. I asked my closings attorney to get the Eagle policy from First American which add additional coverages...

1. The EAGLE Policy is our most comprehensive coverage. Subject to availability in your area, the Eagle Policy covers all of the risks listed above, plus these:
  2. Post-policy forgery against the insured interest.
  3. Forced removal of residential improvements due to lack of an appropriate building permit (subject to deductible).
  4. Post-policy construction of improvements by a neighbor onto insured land.
  5. Damage to residential structures from use of the surface of insured land for extraction or development of minerals.
#3 is a very interesting point. I generally run, when I see a mis-match in assessor square footage v. actual. Would be something to consider if it was covered. How much is the deductible?

In Arizona it is customary for the seller to provide an owner's policy. Same with Nevada, but I had some Canadian buyer's that checked the box, and I sure didn't complain.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Given how many homes have had their titles get cloudy in recent years as a result of the mortgage meltdown, I wouldn't go without one these days. At the very least, they'd be one more organization to fight for you when Bank of America tries to foreclose on a house they've never written a mortgage on.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM

274 posts, read 709,118 times
Need.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate