Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,286 times

Advertisements

We bought a house in Southern IN last Aug. through a realtor, had an Inspection by a recommended inspector. Who was very helpful in regards to roof the seller claimed the roof was new. Upon inspection it showed new tar had been applied and a few new shingles but not a new roof. Which we took in to consideration and asked for money at closing to get a new roof. Which seller agreed but stated roof does not leak. In the disclosure statement they stated basement did not leak but there was moisture under front porch. Which during inspection it had been dry for several months and none was found. They claimed the rest of basement was dry. Which was very important since the family room and kitchen are in the basement. Three weeks after moving in it rained there were two leaks in the roof so new roof was put on before planned. Then one morning after a rain I went into the kitchen and noticed the carpet was wet (They had put new carpet in the kitchen) I thought maybe one of the kids had spilled some water and dismissed it. Two weeks later we went away for the weekend and upon returning carpet was again wet this time I knew it could not be a spill I pulled back the carpet and the floor was very wet and had water stains. Next I tried to find the source of the water really could not tell at this point. Pulled up the carpet so I could easily see the water. The next time it rained I was home once again water came rushing from under the cabinets. this time I got a flashlight and could see under the cabinet a waterfall of water coming in from the outside wall. I called the realtor who then called theirs. I did not get a reply for several weeks so I called them back. The seller will think about it is the reply I got! Do I need an Attorney or am I SOL? The basement is also leaking in three other places now. This is just the most major of problems we have had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 08:59 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
I would post this in the real estate forum. You will get better replies. I would follow up with an attorney. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Talk to a RE attorney.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM

574 posts, read 1,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cham2894 View Post
We bought a house in Southern IN last Aug. through a realtor, had an Inspection by a recommended inspector. Who was very helpful in regards to roof the seller claimed the roof was new. Upon inspection it showed new tar had been applied and a few new shingles but not a new roof. Which we took in to consideration and asked for money at closing to get a new roof. Which seller agreed but stated roof does not leak. In the disclosure statement they stated basement did not leak but there was moisture under front porch. Which during inspection it had been dry for several months and none was found. They claimed the rest of basement was dry. Which was very important since the family room and kitchen are in the basement. Three weeks after moving in it rained there were two leaks in the roof so new roof was put on before planned. Then one morning after a rain I went into the kitchen and noticed the carpet was wet (They had put new carpet in the kitchen) I thought maybe one of the kids had spilled some water and dismissed it. Two weeks later we went away for the weekend and upon returning carpet was again wet this time I knew it could not be a spill I pulled back the carpet and the floor was very wet and had water stains. Next I tried to find the source of the water really could not tell at this point. Pulled up the carpet so I could easily see the water. The next time it rained I was home once again water came rushing from under the cabinets. this time I got a flashlight and could see under the cabinet a waterfall of water coming in from the outside wall. I called the realtor who then called theirs. I did not get a reply for several weeks so I called them back. The seller will think about it is the reply I got! Do I need an Attorney or am I SOL? The basement is also leaking in three other places now. This is just the most major of problems we have had.
Welcome to the real world of home buying! Disclosures are worthless and unfortunately, as you can see here, if the conditions are right even an inspection won't necessarily find the problems.

I agree that you should be consulting with an Attorney on this one. It does sound like a good job of hiding problems!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:23 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Definitely attorney time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate