Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times

Advertisements

Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM

507 posts, read 1,537,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
How about stepping up and being responsible and paying for the mortgage. The financial institution shouldn't be punished for one of the few cases where they actually do something nice for someone. Pay your mortgage. You have a home.
Have a nice day heartless POS

Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Y'know, I've been thinking about this "breach of contract=immorality" lately. About six months after my son entered into a 2 year cellular phone contract, his employer required that he use his employer's blackberry. His boss told him he could use the business phone for personal calls. He has little to no use for two cellular phones.

The penalty for terminating the contract is significantly less than the monthly fees incurred for the remaining 18 months. So, is it immoral of him to terminate the contract? Or, does this qualify as a sound financial decision?

Hmmm.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I used to be in the camp that had an issue with people walking away from their mortgages. Not anymore. It really is a business decision. An arrangement was made by two parties that spells out exactly what the terms are. Those terms include what happens if the borrower defaults. I don't see it as morals or ethics.

I'm sure I will be condemned to burn for eternity for saying this, but I'm OK with that. To each his own.
This really is a new way of thinking - and it makes sense. Everything evolves, even public perception - and that's a good thing!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:19 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
About six months after my son entered into a 2 year cellular phone contract, his employer required that he use his employer's blackberry.
Did his employer require he personally buy a blackberry and sign a contract? I'm guessing.... no. So he did it on his own, because he wanted one. Then he got one for free. He can cancel and pay the early termination fee and put the phone on ebay. Its not immoral. Cell phone companies dont care, thats why they charge the fee.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
If you're not going anywhere keep doing what you're doing. I think I'm underwater a bit on my home, but since I'm not moving, it doesn't really matter to me.
Sounds like me..I know my condo is "underwater" as well by roughly $60K but the reality is, I can make the payments and I still need somewhere to live so I will keep paying!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
It's not like the OP didn't put any money down - it was a substantial amount. I know someone in a similar position who put down around $150K and is now $200K underwater -- I have a feeling a lot of the neighbors around there are even in worse shape...it's a little different to judge when it hits home. So to speak..

Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
My house is under water. I like where I live. I hate my bank.

I'm going to keep paying because I don't want to move.

I'm not going to keep paying because it's the "right" thing to do.
I'd love to screw the bank, but I can't because the large banks
are not banks any more. They are loan processors and servicers.
They don't have any skin in the game.

It was banks not being banks that caused the mess.
There are a number of people that should hang for this mess, but
they will, instead, award themselves another large bonus this year.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,593 times
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I think it makes sense for me to keep my condo. At least for now...

Old 05-29-2011, 01:40 PM

Location: A rich man is not one who has the most, but one who needs the least
25 posts, read 169,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
This annoys me.

This isn't a moral debate, it's a business decision.

I was just talking to my wife yesterday about how some lower and middle-income Americans drank the kool-aid and became corporate lackeys for banks and financial institutions during the housing downfall, and this post sums that up just brilliantly.

An investment is a pure business decision and IF walking away and ruining your credit for x years and losing x on your down payment was by far the better long-term fiscal decision, regardless of necessity, you better believe that's what that same bank and financial institution would have done (and has done), and if a homeowner wants to do that too, they have my full support.

Furthermore, it's just rude. The OP didn't come here to receive some sort of childish chide because you wanted to get on your soap box.

Walk Away News: Morgan Stanley Gives Properties Back to the Lender - Developments - WSJ

Add me to the list of people that believe individuals should act in much the same manner that a bank or corporation acts every single year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate