Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM

290 posts, read 573,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
To th best of my knowledge, nothing has been done to either complex to warrant such drastics changes in pricing.
There is the complete economic 'main frame/web' (per say) to consider. Econometrics is complementary to the principles, laws, and theories, and so forth; for example: the portrait of sales you had given indicates a competitive absorption rate that plays a role in economics -- supply and demand of your complex is then taken into account when considering external forces, such as Manderly noted. It is deeper than a few sentences that make up a paragraph, however. Other key words that you mention; peak, next door, time frame, past sales, etc; it is just the beginning.

If you are noting any peak markets during the years 2008, then there is a good chance there will be significant changes in the market. But, there is always that one buyer that will come along with the right kind of pockets that defy logic. Are you that one buyer? Finance has tightened, which will, and probably has already taken its toll on the market's supply and demand, thus value. the years 2007 -- 2008 are key, as well.

Good stuff, though -- keep posting your gut, opinions, and personal confirmations (if you feel it to be necessary). You will eventually make a good decision, or seek the correct local guidance, by talking it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeenback View Post
If the present factor is applied appropriately, the role of "recent" past sales, can assist, and/or, play a role in determining "Market Value."
sorry if i wasn't clear, i was referring to older sales, not the sort of sales that a professional would refer to as "Comps".

the way i see it, my goals are not the same as a real estate agent or an appraiser, and therefore i am perfectly fine analyzing the data in ways that suit my needs.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,638 times
Your thought process is understandable, but blindly assuming that all prices should automatically be lower than they were in 2007, simply because it's not 2007 anymore isn't correct. The only true measure of what something is worth is how much someone will actually pay for it. If there is a buyer out there willing to pay what they're asking (and able to secure the financing at that amount) then they are pricing correctly. Chances are, there isn't such a buyer and they are over-pricing, but you can't know that for sure.

If you don't think it's worth what they're asking don't pay that much, it's as simple as that.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM

290 posts, read 573,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the way i see it, my goals are not the same as a real estate agent or an appraiser, and therefore i am perfectly fine analyzing the data in ways that suit my needs.
I still agree with you prior statement. And, I am agreeable with this particular posting.

Older sales is different from recent sales; overall -- competitive sales is different from similar sales -- similar and competitive sales are different from comparable sales. Thanks for the clarification, when you noted "older sales."

Please don't take my prior posting as being as, "matter of fact." I wanted to add to what you had said, agree with you, and give additional information.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM

253 posts, read 654,970 times
How close is this property to NYC? CT is within the tri-state area of NYC, where many serve as a bedroom community for the folks that work in the city. If you are close enough, then the prices will reflect that, and not by the value of the property itself. The areas around NYC didn't plunge much from the housing crisis, so it won't be the same as the rest of the country, I'm afraid? Good luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post
How close is this property to NYC? CT is within the tri-state area of NYC, where many serve as a bedroom community for the folks that work in the city. If you are close enough, then the prices will reflect that, and not by the value of the property itself. The areas around NYC didn't plunge much from the housing crisis, so it won't be the same as the rest of the country, I'm afraid? Good luck!

+1 one on some local knowledge.... I live and work allover Ct as well. What town is this in???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate