Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 PM

32 posts, read 62,617 times

Advertisements

Sorry I don't totally understand what you are talking about.

I just mentioned above, I am a first time overseas buyer, I am not totally familiar with US real estate policy. During the bidding process of the property, this agent knew that I was no longer willing to pay more in order to compete with other potential buyers. He said the seller didn't accept my offer except I was willing to pay $700 cash more, and then he suggested to pay this amount by himself. We made this agreement over phone, he promised to give me back this amount later. That was the story. I hope I can answer your question.

He knows that I will leave the country soon, I will definitely post his story all over the internet if he is not willing to pay in these few days, like yelp.com, home buyer's web site. Can anyone suggest some web sites or forums that many realtors and brokers would usually go? Many thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
I am all confused. Why did the OP want to increase the asking price when HE was buying a house?
In any case, if the OP is not after the money but just offended from being deceived, I would have just posted his story all over the internet with the realto's name and his office name. Start with yelp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 PM

553 posts, read 1,028,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
I'd be careful about doing what you suggest. I agree that if the OP's story is accurate, the agent is not being honest and honorable in their dealing with the OP. However, without proof that the agent reneged on this promise, may open up potential legal action by the agent (defamation, lible, etc).
It would be easier for the agent to pay $700 in order to have a bad review removed, and cheaper than to sue. Especially because he did cheat.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 PM

That's why I said earlier that I want to do the audio recording when we talk over phone, but many people told me that it's illegal, that makes me stop thinking about it anymore.

Quote:
I'd be careful about doing what you suggest. I agree that if the OP's story is accurate, the agent is not being honest and honorable in their dealing with the OP. However, without proof that the agent reneged on this promise, may open up potential legal action by the agent (defamation, lible, etc).

Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight12 View Post
Sorry I don't totally understand what you are talking about.

I just mentioned above, I am a first time overseas buyer, I am not totally familiar with US real estate policy. During the bidding process of the property, this agent knew that I was no longer willing to pay more in order to compete with other potential buyers. He said the seller didn't accept my offer except I was willing to pay $700 cash more, and then he suggested to pay this amount by himself. We made this agreement over phone, he promised to give me back this amount later. That was the story. I hope I can answer your question.

He knows that I will leave the country soon, I will definitely post his story all over the internet if he is not willing to pay in these few days, like yelp.com, home buyer's web site. Can anyone suggest some web sites or forums that many realtors and brokers would usually go? Many thanks!!!
Why would you care which web site brokers will go to? What you should care about, is where potential buyers and sellers go.
As a matter of fact, you can just post his name anywhere you like. Any forum, even this one. It will start showing in google in the very first page of name search in just an hours or so. I would try to post on Yelp first, though. Since Yelp allows editing reviews.
Put it on Yelp, then google it and then send him the link of the google search. Tell him that he is famous now ))). See what he will suggest.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:36 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,603,663 times
Quote:
It would be easier for the agent to pay $700 in order to have a bad review removed, and cheaper than to sue. Especially because he did cheat.
Well, actually we just have the word of the OP on that. Hardly proof in court. Damages caused by such action could easily cost the OP more than $700. Might be a good idea to consult with an attorney before going forward.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight12 View Post
That's why I said earlier that I want to do the audio recording when we talk over phone, but many people told me that it's illegal, that makes me stop thinking about it anymore.
It is very expensive to go to court. And then, for a judge, it is kind of unlikely to believe that an otherwise honest man would do some "defamation" without having any motive, other then actually being ripped off. I can hardly thing of a way of making a living buy buying a house and then chasing your agent.
Even though they will deny everything, common sense has not been cancelled yet. They will also have to prove that the "actual damages" actually had occurred. That is difficult. I have never head of anybody going to court over bad reviews, unless there were some people who really did try make money on that. Yet there are million bad reviews.
This is HIS SIDE OF THE STORY. There is no way to prove THIS DID NOT HAPPEN.
Read memoirs.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Well, actually we just have the word of the OP on that. Hardly proof in court. Damages caused by such action could easily cost the OP more than $700. Might be a good idea to consult with an attorney before going forward.
They will NOT go to court.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 PM

Ok, I am thinking to give him the last chance this coming few days before I take any action.

Yes I will put his name on internet! Thanks!

Quote:
Why would you care which web site brokers will go to? What you should care about, is where potential buyers and sellers go.
As a matter of fact, you can just post his name anywhere you like. Any forum, even this one. It will start showing in google in the very first page of name search in just an hours or so. I would try to post on Yelp first, though. Since Yelp allows editing reviews.
Put it on Yelp, then google it and then send him the link of the google search. Tell him that he is famous now ))). See what he will suggest.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,603,663 times
Quote:
...otherwise honest man....
Oh, sorry, I didn't know that you personally know the OP's character and can vouch for him.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:48 PM

I don't plan to go to court too. It's silly to do that. No prove and it's a small amount. Honestly I have the preparation to lose this amount. Of course $700 will not kill me, but he needs to know that he can earn my commission just because of this $700. Also, he is the listing agent of that propert, that means he earned both side, he got 6% commission!

What I keep saying now is, I want to try to get it back and most importantly, to ruin his name in this industry (yes I am bad!)

This agent is clever that he didn't reply my email when I mention on email that he needed to give me back the money, so no prove.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate