Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times

Advertisements

I don't think this neighbor would be a nuisance to anyone but me, as we don't get along well (to put it mildly). Must I disclose past issues or can I skip that part?

I am considering putting a FSBO sign in my front yard so he stops hassling me. The truth is there are several things that need to be done here before I can even sell it. I'm thinking of having an appraiser appraise it to set the value so I know what I am working with.

This isn't to say I am not all in favor of using a realtor's service. And, if I were in a set of normal circumstances I would use a realtor. Also, I want more control in the process and this means only showing my home at my convenience. Since I am home virtually 24/7, this would not be a problem. But I do need notice and do not want realtors pressuring me to show my house at their convenience.

And, truthfully, if I put a sign in my yard I think it will get this neighbor to back off and give him a sigh of relief as in "I won!" Well, I've been needing to get out of here for years so let him think he's won. He is less likely to harass me and my property if he thinks I am leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
What is the nuisance? What is he doing to you? I really don't feel that a personality conflict with a neighbor is a material fact in a property unless the issue is an encroachment or something. You might consider listing it, in addition to all the other good reasons, because it will allow you to step out of the emotional equation and have a professional handle a business transaction which is what you need. Separate the feelings from the facts and get it sold.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
What is the nuisance? What is he doing to you? I really don't feel that a personality conflict with a neighbor is a material fact in a property unless the issue is an encroachment or something. You might consider listing it, in addition to all the other good reasons, because it will allow you to step out of the emotional equation and have a professional handle a business transaction which is what you need. Separate the feelings from the facts and get it sold.
Ok, must I disclose details to the realtor? The nuisances have been property damage and attempted harm to my animals. Must I tell a realtor the police have been involved?

Old 06-11-2011, 12:36 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Please get a realtor and let them deal with the hassle and it is a hassle selling your home . It certainly is up to you what you tell about the neighbor I would think . Legally I dont think you have to tell them why you want to sell just say you are unhappy with the direction the neighborhood is going and leave it at that . I wish you luck it is a very hard market right now with all the houses on the market due to foreclosures , job losses and etc ..

Old 06-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Please get a realtor and let them deal with the hassle and it is a hassle selling your home . It certainly is up to you what you tell about the neighbor I would think . Legally I dont think you have to tell them why you want to sell just say you are unhappy with the direction the neighborhood is going and leave it at that . I wish you luck it is a very hard market right now with all the houses on the market due to foreclosures , job losses and etc ..
Thanks, phonelady61, but I do know that failure to disclose certain things can haunt you and result in legalities down the road. When I sold my last house the house next door (I think) was being turned into a group home. I mentioned this in passing to my realtor and she told me she wished I had not said that and to not say that.

What if I'm wrong about this guy? What if he would continue to be a nuisance? I certainly do not want anything coming back to haunt me after I leave.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
The neighbor's problem is with you, not your house. There's nothing to disclose - unless your residency in the house comes with the sale of the house. If the buyer is buying the house with you included in it, then yeah. You'd have to disclose that you and your neighbor can't stand each other. If you're moving out, then the problem will be disappearing with your move and therefore - nothing to disclose.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:03 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The neighbor's problem is with you, not your house. There's nothing to disclose - unless your residency in the house comes with the sale of the house. If the buyer is buying the house with you included in it, then yeah. You'd have to disclose that you and your neighbor can't stand each other. If you're moving out, then the problem will be disappearing with your move and therefore - nothing to disclose.
That's exactly the direction I was headed, only to add the next buyer could very well be your neighbor's soul mate or best bud. Not everyone reacts the way you do.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
That's exactly the direction I was headed, only to add the next buyer could very well be your neighbor's soul mate or best bud. Not everyone reacts the way you do.
Right. Some people would pick up the sharp harmful objects and toss them back over the fence.

Sorry if I am misinterpreting your post, but I did not start this thing off. I've just reacted to a series of hassles.

I had another neighbor who threw cigarette butts over the fence into my yard. In that particular case I DID throw them back over the fence - three times until they stayed there. And then they never threw them over the fence again.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
The neighbor might be perfectly content with the next owner. You never know... I would think there is nothing to disclose.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Right. Some people would pick up the sharp harmful objects and toss them back over the fence.

Sorry if I am misinterpreting your post, but I did not start this thing off. I've just reacted to a series of hassles.

I had another neighbor who threw cigarette butts over the fence into my yard. In that particular case I DID throw them back over the fence - three times until they stayed there. And then they never threw them over the fence again.
You still don't get what we are saying, it doesn't matter who started what. You can't be responsible for disclosing other people's personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate