Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 AM

41 posts, read 96,887 times

Advertisements

I just had my dream house inspected and found many problems. one of them is moisture intrusion. Is it a deal-breaker? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks

1.moisture intrusion
A number of windows have evidence of moisture intrusion along the edge of the unit and in some cases at the sill include but not limited to: dining room, living room, kitchen nook, family room, upstairs south bedrooms, master bedroom, master bath sill(glass block).

Ceiling repair observed at garage north wall and upstairs master bedroom north wall.Appearance of prior moisture intrusion

Game room balcony door has wood decay at base of jamb and prior moisture intrusion.This door does not make a tight seal when closed, gap along top edge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Well it sounds like your dream house needs some work. It's up to you to decide if you want to negotiate to have the seller correct the problems, renegotiate price, or terminate and move on.

Old moisture intrusion is common (at least out here where it rains a lot) in ceilings. Quite frankly, that is typically what triggers people to finally get their roof replaced. Most people hold out until it fails, moisture penetrates the house, and voila new roof.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Silverfall is absolutely correct. While "moisture intrusion" is a fancy term that I suspect the inspector learned in some "continuing education" that their profit minded professional association dreamed up the standard way for normal folks to state was happened is much simpler: the roof leaked. NOW if that leak was FIXED as would be the case with a NEW ROOF, and it did not leak so long that there was additional damage I can think of no reason for this to be a deal killer.

Similarly if the "moisture intrusion" around the windows could more properly be called "condensation patterns" from inexpensive or poorly installed windows which is VERY COMMON IN ALL CLIMATES WHERE WINTER TEMPERATURES DIP BELOW FREEZING OR EVEN from actually finding evidence of wind driven rain leaking past the windows. I would expect that any decent real estate agent who is representing the buyer would have ALREADY said something like "Well yeah the place is priced low, but with these old / cheap windows that has to be factored" or maybe while showing the house / preparing the offer "See how old these windows are, let's factor that into our offer"...

Windows that are older and low quality cannot be expected to perform as well as newer high quality units. In old movies the single pane windows were ALWAYS covered with FROST as the moist indoor air condensed and FROZE on the panes!!! If that is what your inspector is seeing they are mischaracterizing this as an issue needing repair. Now if the home is in a warm climate and the windows truly show evidence of wind driven rain leaking in then of course this SHOULD be fixed / price adjusted.

If you are working with a buyer's agent they SHOULD have explained this to you. Frankly when I would show folks older homes with even fancy looking but poorly sealing windows I sometimes would do a little side trip to visit the store that sells doors and windows so they would realize that fashionable high quality windows that preserve the character of older homes can mean an investment of tens of thousands of dollars... Or they could just live with charming but drafty old windows and go broke turning up the heat while they scrape smiley faces on the frost inside ...

The ONLY kind of "moisture intrusion" that I do consider a true deal killer is the type that afflicts IEFS as that can do undetected for so long that the entire structure is completely compromised and the "repairs" involve more work than pretty much house built with EIFS is worth...

Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 PM

Silverfall and Chet everett, Thank you very much.
Here are the pics. Is moisture intrusion a deal-breaker?-inspection1.jpg

Last edited by Reaare; 06-21-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 01:37 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaare View Post
Silverfall and Chet everett, Thank you very much.
Here is the pics. Attachment 81401

Repairs clearly need to be done. My guess is that the flashing/barrier behind the siding where it transitions to the windows wasn't installed correctly and is funneling water down and into the interior. It's up to you. Get a quote for repairs and either ask the seller to do it, get a credit or walk.

Do you have an agent? This seems like pretty easy advice to offer.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:10 PM

Thanks.
I have an agent but she is in Canada now. one of her co-workers is helping me who said it should not be a big issue, but she is also not quite sure.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
The need for repair is obvious. I am a little shocked that the seller did not address this before listing. Any chance this is a distressed sale? Looks to be newer than I thought.

DOES THIS PLACE HAVE THE FAKE STUCCO STUFF?? "dryvit" That is what most people call the "Exterior Insulated Finish System" -- if so THAT is what the inspector SHOULD have focused on!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Thanks. The exterior is brick not stucco. it was built in 1997. Here it is. Is moisture intrusion a deal-breaker?-facade.jpg

Last edited by Reaare; 06-21-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
Get a contracter in to get you a quote. The price to fix would depend on where the water is coming from. Might be the roof, ice dam, might be the wall, etc. From the pics, it looks recent. There may be some clues in the attic.

Honestly you really wont know until someone gets into the wall to see what damage there is and how far it goes.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Nice looking house! I too am shocked the seller didn't address the appearance of the "water intrusion." (leaks, heh! ) I have no information and thus no opinion as to the underlying cause. I think the underlying cause would make all the difference between a good deal and a bad deal. (Or equivalently, the price.)

nice post @ chet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate