Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times

Advertisements

Am I excessively paranoid about security during an open house?

This is a lot different than have a broker show a person around my house. Having people waliking in rooms unaccompanied, and without even knowing who they are seems like an opportunity for people to steal who never had any intention of buying the house, or even worse, to "case the joint" for a later possible burglary. Without having someone placed in each room, protecting against theft would be impossible.

My broker is up front that the likelyhood of actually selling the house in an open house was small, and would only generate action on her business.

Advice please????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I packed away all the valuable stuff and have my jewelry locked up. I only know of 1 person who got their buyer from an open house. In terms of "casing the joint" they can see my security system inside.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Am I excessively paranoid about security during an open house?

This is a lot different than have a broker show a person around my house. Having people waliking in rooms unaccompanied, and without even knowing who they are seems like an opportunity for people to steal who never had any intention of buying the house, or even worse, to "case the joint" for a later possible burglary. Without having someone placed in each room, protecting against theft would be impossible.

My broker is up front that the likelyhood of actually selling the house in an open house was small, and would only generate action on her business.

Advice please????

She is correct. Open houses tend to draw the curious and those who consider it entertainment, or to get decorating or remodeling ideas. The folks who really are looking for a home will normally want a private showing. The main reason some agents like open houses is to gather names and addresses, phone #'s, for potential buyers or sellers. Plus it is not a good idea in this economy to open your home to strangers. Even Realtors have to be careful who they work with and who they take in their vehicles. (Sad but true.) Many offices now require that their office keeps a photocopy of their driver's license on file before leaving the office with an agent.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I never press for Open Houses on occupied listings. Security of personal goods is one reason.
Inconveniencing a family for an event with a low payback to them is another.
But, I will do Open Houses at the clients' option, and discuss personal stuff. Many people forget that they must remove valuables from the house while it is on the market.

Now, a vacant house? I will hold it open repeatedly.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Not to feed your paranoia too much, but even when it is a single showing you may have multiple people looking at your house at the same time and they can end up in different rooms. Meaning the showing agent can't always be watching them.

Obviously not as much of an issue as an open house, but a reminder you still need to put your valuables somewhere.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not to feed your paranoia too much, but even when it is a single showing you may have multiple people looking at your house at the same time and they can end up in different rooms. Meaning the showing agent can't always be watching them.

Obviously not as much of an issue as an open house, but a reminder you still need to put your valuables somewhere.

Less of a problem in that the broker knows who they are showing the house to, and whether they are are actually interested in buying. In an open house, as many people have said, including you, lots of people could be wandering around around totally unsupervised for as long as they want, and could even leave the house out the back, without anyone knowing. In fact, they could even enter from the back and leave from the back, and never even see an agent.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Can you buy a small safe to hold your valuables?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
It isn't just valuables and prescriptions that get stolen. An agent here had the silverware stolen off the table (which was set) during the open house.

Most sellers choose not to do them when I tell them I can't guard their stuff and have a release in my contracts should they choose an open house. Someone might take your kids toys or things you don't think about as "valuable." The potential gain isn't worth the risk and inconvenience for sellers.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
She is correct. Open houses tend to draw the curious and those who consider it entertainment, or to get decorating or remodeling ideas. The folks who really are looking for a home will normally want a private showing.
I agree. I've dealt with numerous realtors and never once had one suggest an open house to be productive, they only attract the nosy neighbors, people bored on a sunday afternoon and those just wanting to get ideas for their own homes. I would not even bother with the hassle of an open house.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
When I first started selling homes, I met my first 3 buyers (and subsequently, my first 3 sales) from Open Houses and I did sell one of the Open Houses.

As a buyer's agent, it's a gold mine. As the listing agent, the benefits aren't really there for them, but it doesn't hurt by any means. At the very least, it can give off the impression of there being a buzz. Consumers generally aren't aware that Open Houses don't reeeeeally sell the house, technically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate