Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:52 AM

632 posts, read 1,517,863 times

Advertisements

Two weeks ago, we closed on a home we paid $280k for. We paid to have the home inspected by an inspector recommended by the realtor (we were out of town buyers) and the report came back that it was a "good, solid house". On the seller's property condition statement, the seller checked "No" for questions asking if there were water problems, flooding, mold, mildew, structural problems, etc. Keep in mind he had the option of checking "I don't know" but checked "No."

One hour after closing, we went to the house to move in and smelled a horrible smell in the basement. Upon further inspection, we saw water creeping in on the carpet by 3 basement walls. We also saw that the paint had bubbled on the wall above the leakage. We IMMEDIATELY called both the realtor and inspector to inform them of the problems. They both came out that day and looked at the problem. The realtor brought out the property condition statement and we discussed how the seller didn't disclose the damage. Later that day, the seller came out to the house and looked at the damage. He admitted that he would mad too, if it was him. He also commented "everyone knew about the water problems in this house". We showed him the property statement where he checked "No", and he said "that's because there aren't water problems". Bizarre....

We removed sheetrock to see the extent of the damage, and there is mold in the walls, including studding. We looked for the source of the dripping we saw, and found a basement window that had been covered over, obviously not correctly.

Since then, we have learned from 2 neighbors that the seller did know about the water problems, had used a backhoe himself to dig out underneath the back deck and left it open for 8 months last year. He even got a professionl bid to fix the problem, but thought it was too expensive so he did the work himself. He is NOT a licensed contractor.

Question...can we sue the seller for Breach of Contract because he didn't disclose the problems with the property? If we do, what do we do in the meantime waiting for the court case, quit paying our mortgage? Go rent another place? We've heard it will be difficult for us to sue the inspector, and if we do, we can only sue to try and repair the damage, not give the house back.

We have been told by a contractor who came in and looked at the damage that even if we fix the problem, it will still be difficult for us to resell the home because a "qualified" home inspector will disclose all of the problems. We also have to disclose the problems on any property condition statement we sign.

Advice please.....we are devestated and need to know if this is worth our money getting a qualified attorney to fight for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 06:55 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I would contact an attorney.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:09 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Yes, get an attorney.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Attorney time.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,863 times
Thanks everyone...that's what we thought. I know it will be expensive to sue for breach of contract, but our alternatives aren't good. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:57 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Whatever you do, do not stop paying your mortgage unless you don't care about owning a home in the next 3 years.

If you purchased the home VA or FHA, you signed in at least 3 places that HUD/VA does not warrant the condition on the home. The note you signed is your personal guaranty to pay back money you borrowed. The note is still due even if the home is rendered uninhabitable. Should you be late on the mortgage, you may have some sympathetic underwriters, but no one will let you borrow on another home with recent prior late mortgage payments. The condition of the property has nothing to do with the fact you owe money.

Years ago, a Realtor I worked with got a great deal on a Cadillac. About 3 weeks after she bought it, the FBI came to her office and provided evidence the vehicle was stolen and had it towed away. She paid on that loan for 4 years.

Go get legal advice, but I'm almost certain your attorney will tell you to keep paying the mortgage. Chances are, the sellers won't be contributing funds, either. If they have a clue, they've obtained legal avices as well and will be told any advancement of funds will be considered an admission of guilt. The home inspector most likely has verbiage in his report he's not responsible for what is behind the walls or concealed.

Fortunately, your story isn't something that's overly common. Doesn't mean it doesn't stink, though.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
If you went to the house an hour after closing, why didn't you walk through the house for a visual inspection before closing?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
As the others have said, contact a real estate attorney. Document with your realtor what the seller told you. Take pictures. If the seller has not moved out of state, then you probably have a lawsuit. It is interesting that your realtor saw no signs of this problem or even that the seller's agent did not see it. Absolutely keep paying the mortgage. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 AM

158 posts, read 523,874 times
The cost of an attorney is cheaper than the cost for repairs. Please keep in touch on this issue, I'm sure I'm not the only realtor that could learn from your story. I'm sorry to hear you are going through this.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 11,656 times
Can you update us where your at with this. I have the exact same thing happening. The seller of my house is a fraud but also a Real Estate attorney. It's unreal. I'm going to spend over $100k getting this house live able. But I'm not sure I will ever collect since a lien won't do much to get him to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate