Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
That was a sarcastic comment.

The truth is we all feel more comfortable within the confines of our own house than a hospital or nursing home. With that in mind, any house that is old enough is likely to have had one or more deaths happen in it.
No question. My grandmother died at home, my mother died at home, one of my children in infancy passed away at home. Dozens of people I know died at home. People die every day at home thanks to the services of Hospice. With the boomer wave, many of us will die at home as that is more and more of a lifestyle/death choice. When hospitalized, would one refuse all rooms based on someone having died in them? Americans have such fears and taboos. Other cultures roll with the realities of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times
nope what you are feeling is alright. I would have done the same thing for my family. Feeling scared or concerned abt them. I do not belief in ghosts but do belief that when a person die of sudden dead, he has some sort of feelings, emotions, desires which might left some effect on the house. Its just me, I could be write or wrong, but would rather not move into a house where I know that there was some sort of accident or sudden death. You are right listen to your heart and do what you think right.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:44 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
The Amityville Horror house was up for sale a while ago, After The Lutzes, the next family had no probelms at all.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:44 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
I was considering buying one where the owners committed sucide in the house but we decided not to move to the area otherwise I would have had no issues.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
I lived for 18 yrs in a house blt in 1861...

no doubt someone died there, but due to the overall history, I bought it anyway...but I did think about that from time to time...

Old 02-08-2012, 02:55 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The Amityville Horror house was up for sale a while ago, After The Lutzes, the next family had no probelms at all.

No they didn't. But honestly, I am originally from that area and there is a whole lot more (and less) to that story than was depicted in the book and movie.

I would never live in that house. Never

Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
I think buying a house that someone died in is not the worst thing ever, but you should be comfortable with the fact that it happened in the home. Don't buy if you have to force it.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:08 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Dying a natural death in a home is one thing. Once a home, such as mine is over 125 years old, givin the mortality rates back then; that is bound to have happened. Women gave birth at home and frequently one or both did not make it out alive. Influenza, whooping cough, tuberculosis,scarlet fever and just old age - chances are someone did die in my home. And in the one next door, and the one next to that.

However, I draw the line at homes in which there has been a brutal murder, suicide or other catastrophic event.

In certain states, my own included (PA) properties that have indured such events are called "stigmatized" and the event must be reveled to the potential buyer. This, by the way, includes reputed hauntings.

You may believe what you wish, but given the choice of a home where something horrible has happened and the many in which nothing has occurred, I will chose the later.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No they didn't. But honestly, I am originally from that area and there is a whole lot more (and less) to that story than was depicted in the book and movie.

Ron DeFeo did a television interview from prison, the man looks demonic.

As for the Lutzes...who in their right mind keeps the same furniture and beds in a home of a murdered family, questionable. I'm not certain I believe it, but makes a better story for a movie. Then again, who in their right mind would live in a home where an entire family was murdered??

Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I saw the movie for the scare factor, but I never believed that it was based on reality. Do you think DeFeo just used demonic possession as an excuse for the murders? Was he into that stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate