Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:08 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

For all of our lives we lived in single family homes ... but, as we got older and moving toward retirement, we decided to try condo living (specifically oceanfront). That was in 2002. Since then, we have owned two condos and just purchased our third. We find that condos suit our lifestyle and interests and will most likely live in condos for the rest of our lives.

A few things we like are affordable oceanfront living; lack of individual responsibility for maintenance, upkeep etc. (I have worked on HOA boards to 'get the work done'); HOA-influenced standards for 'neighborhood' upkeep, parking, behavior; quiet, private environment; ease of pick-up-and-travel living; property value protection (within an established range).

The notion that condo living is similar to apartment living is generally a by-product of lower-end, converted apartment-type condos with excessive, short-term renters and poorly managed HOA's. This has not been our experience because we have avoided these situations going in.

Which do you prefer and why? ... What has your experience been? Do you think condos offer a good lifestyle for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Which do you prefer and why? ... What has your experience been? Do you think condos offer a good lifestyle for you?
I definitely prefer living in a single family home. My first purchase was a condo and I lived there for 3 years. The building was horribly managed and the HOA was a disaster. I tried twice to run for the board and lost by a very small margin both times. I am 100% convinced that the people on the board when I lived there were scamming the system and getting money off the top somehow. The books simply did not add up and the HOA wasn't forthcoming with information.

Now, in a well run building, I think living in a condo can be a great thing. The building I lived in had concrete floors, so I never heard my neighbors or had issues of that nature. I loved not having to worry about exterior maintenance.

I think there are definitely pros and cons to both condos and single family homes. I'm more of a control freak and living in a condo just doesn't work for me. Especially with the high assessments that are common here in Chicago. If the assessments are low/reasonable then I don't mind giving up some control and letting someone else handle the maintenance. But, unfortunately that wasn't my experience with condo ownership.

If I ever do consider a condo again I would look for a few things:

1. A well maintained and up to date looking building (where the common areas obviously receive attention and regular maintenance).

2. A board of directors that is EASY to get in touch with and is willing to meet and speak with you to discuss concerns.

3. Assessments that are on the lower end. In a condo building that has no grass or exterior areas to maintain and very limited common elements, the assessment shouldn't be 35% of your mortgage payment. The fees should make sense in proportion to what you receive for them.

Like I said, condos can be great, but as long as I'm physically and financially capable of maintaining a single family house, that will be my preference. I definitely learned my lesson after that first purchase...

Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
For all of our lives we lived in single family homes ... but, as we got older and moving toward retirement, we decided to try condo living (specifically oceanfront). That was in 2002. Since then, we have owned two condos and just purchased our third. We find that condos suit our lifestyle and interests and will most likely live in condos for the rest of our lives.

A few things we like are affordable oceanfront living; lack of individual responsibility for maintenance, upkeep etc. (I have worked on HOA boards to 'get the work done'); HOA-influenced standards for 'neighborhood' upkeep, parking, behavior; quiet, private environment; ease of pick-up-and-travel living; property value protection (within an established range).

The notion that condo living is similar to apartment living is generally a by-product of lower-end, converted apartment-type condos with excessive, short-term renters and poorly managed HOA's. This has not been our experience because we have avoided these situations going in.

I agree especially when rentals are held down, the HOA does not try to scrape buy as in not have the money to perform proper maintainence, standards are upheld, and it is managed on a day to day basis by a professional management company.

A great, simple, and carefree way to live.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
If/when I get to the stage that I just don't want to be bothered by the responsibilities of owning the roof and the lawn...
I'll probably not want to be bothered by the responsibilities of owning everything in between either.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If/when I get to the stage that I just don't want to be bothered by the responsibilities of owning the roof and the lawn...
I'll probably not want to be bothered by the responsibilities of owning everything in between either.
1970 to 1976 I lived in a private home. I took care of all.

1976 to 1992 I lived in a townhouse with the HOA doing all outside (building and land) maintenance. My 1st introduction to carefree living.

I lived in private home from 1982 to 1992. I did everything and soon missed the carefree living.

In 92 I bought a townhouse and HOA did all outside (building and land) maintenance. Carefree living again.

In 2002 I bought a private home. HOA maintained common grounds but my house and land was my concern. I soon had enough of maintenance and was kicking my butt for leaving carefree living.

In 2010 (at age 68) I bought a private, smallish, stand alone patio home. The HOA does all outside (house and land) maintenance. I am so happy to be back to carefree living. Makes me wonder why I ever left this style of living. I am here to stay.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I am so happy to be back to carefree living... I am here to stay.
I definitely get that part...
my point is about mixing "ownership" into the middle of it all.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
If I ever do consider a condo again I would look for a few things:

1. A well maintained and up to date looking building (where the common areas obviously receive attention and regular maintenance).

2. A board of directors that is EASY to get in touch with and is willing to meet and speak with you to discuss concerns.

3. Assessments that are on the lower end. In a condo building that has no grass or exterior areas to maintain and very limited common elements, the assessment shouldn't be 35% of your mortgage payment. The fees should make sense in proportion to what you receive for them.
Unless the structure is a tent, condos have exteriors, a roof, windows, plumbing, electrical, maybe elevators, maybe a lobby, HVAC of common areas, paved parking and walkways, screens.....

Sooner or later everything wears out and must be replaced. The purpose of reserves is to put aside funds for eventual restoration and replacement of all common elements. Well managed associations have independent and objective reserve studies that tell them how much needs to be put aside each year to for capital spending.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
There are associations in the greater Chicagoland area wth annual assessments that range from $25.00-5000.00+, no different than in any major metropolitan area. No 2 are exactly alike.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I definitely get that part...
my point is about mixing "ownership" into the middle of it all.
Please clarify what you mean/are asking.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
OP: What do you mean by property value protection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate