Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 7,737 times

Advertisements

Hello All. I just signed a new lease at my townhouse... I have lived here for 5 years. My landlord is a total slum lord. She is horrible. Never fixes anything in my condo, even though I have called and told the super, rents to large groups of illegal residents who leave bodily secretions in the common areas. It's disgusting. I have 2 children. Anyway, all of that aside, I just resigned a lease for November this year. The company approached me 2 weeks before the new lease was to start and said I needed to sign the new lease to start on Nov. 1. I had been living month-to-month out of my lease for a couple years. I signed it because I didn't have a choice, nowhere for my children and I to go on such short notice. The lease is signed, the damage is done. It is now Nov. 7th. I have just received news that I am being transferred out of state and my position here is being absorbed. What am I going to do about my lease? They are transferring me to Arizona. Please, any advice would be appreciated. My lease has a cancellation fee of $375, and it also states that I will be responsible to pay rent until the end of the lease, next fall. I can't afford this. HELP! I cannot pass up the transfer because I will no longer have employment.

I live in Montgomery County - PA

Last edited by naudre11; 11-07-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM

525 posts, read 899,659 times
Your best bet is to communicate with the owner and explain that you have to leave the state.; Other than that you are at their mercy. But if all else fails pray. You could find a job instead of transferring.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
The landlord will need to find someone else to rent the place, and then you are off the hook for rent once they move in.
See if you can pay the landlord a fee for breaking the lease-where you would not be responsible for future rent. It is basically a settlement but get agreement in writing of such if you do this.

when do you move...surely not immediately? they give you some time at the job, right? Does the job offer any moving assistance? Maybe they pay for the lease to be terminated?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naudre11 View Post
Hello All. I just signed a new lease at my townhouse... I have lived here for 5 years. My landlord is a total slum lord. She is horrible. Never fixes anything in my condo, even though I have called and told the super, rents to large groups of illegal residents who leave bodily secretions in the common areas. It's disgusting. I have 2 children. Anyway, all of that aside, I just resigned a lease for November this year. The company approached me 2 weeks before the new lease was to start and said I needed to sign the new lease to start on Nov. 1. I had been living month-to-month out of my lease for a couple years. I signed it because I didn't have a choice, nowhere for my children and I to go on such short notice. The lease is signed, the damage is done. It is now Nov. 7th. I have just received news that I am being transferred out of state and my position here is being absorbed. What am I going to do about my lease? They are transferring me to Arizona. Please, any advice would be appreciated. My lease has a cancellation fee of $375, and it also states that I will be responsible to pay rent until the end of the lease, next fall. I can't afford this. HELP! I cannot pass up the transfer because I will no longer have employment.

I live in Montgomery County - PA
Sometimes a lease/rental will have a company relocation clause in it. Some will move and just pay the $375.00 and consider themselves out of it especially when moving to a new state where it would be costly to pursue you.

Your choice is stay where you are with no job or move to the new job. Try to get out of the lease properly (like pay the $375.00) but you must do what is in best interest of your family.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naudre11 View Post
I just signed a new lease at my townhouse...
I have lived here for 5 years.
I had been living month-to-month out of my lease for a couple years.

What am I going to do about my lease?
Please, any advice would be appreciated.
First, is to contact the management and talk it out.

Quote:
My lease has a cancellation fee of $375, and it also states that I will be responsible to pay rent until the end of the lease, next fall.
The cancellation fee is probably unavoidable.
Talk to them about it anyway.

hth

Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Thank you for your responses - I would love to pay the cancellation fee and be done... I am just very concerned about having to pay rent for the next 12 months while in another state... I begin the new position Dec. 1, so no, not a lot of time. AHHH!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:59 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
You lived somewhere for 5 years where you consider the LL a slumlord?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You lived somewhere for 5 years where you consider the LL a slumlord?
unfortunately yes, when i moved in, i had no dealings with the owner. i dealt specifically with the manager who has since been replaced several times. as time passes, it is getting worse and worse. i am a single parent who has not been able to afford the cost of moving with first/last/security. unfortunately this requires a few thousand dollars and is not in my budget until now. my job is helping me to put the deposits and all down at the new place in arizona. i know this may seem ridiculous to a lot of people but sometimes moving up to better in life is just not attainable immediately.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
I'm confused, what is the point of a cancelation fee if you have to pay rent for 12 months? I thought cancelation fees were to get out of paying the 12 months rent?

Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I'm confused, what is the point of a cancelation fee if you have to pay rent for 12 months? I thought cancelation fees were to get out of paying the 12 months rent?
Or otherwise, if you still owe the rent then what is the point of canceling? (And paying the cancelation fee.)

I think the OP should be able to pay the fee and get out of the rest of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate