Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,630,504 times

Advertisements

Mostly a question of the intensity of the colors. In "real estate speak" those choices would have to be characterized as "personalized" -- the modern looking color of the glossy subway tile used all the way to the ceiling, the green wall by the fridge, the relatively small sink with the large faucet, even the floor tile and cabinets with a fair amount of open shelves are all very nice, but something that probably would not be characterized as "timeless".

Not meant to be the "final word" on those decisions, just my thinking out loud based on having seen LOTS of kitchens in lots of homes over the years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,149,947 times
I would think that if you're only going to live there for a bit, save your cash and let the future buyer renovate it to their taste.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 AM

737 posts, read 2,593,260 times
I don't think the OP said they were going to live there for an absolute 2 - 5 yrs. What the OP said is that they want to reno so they can enjoy it while live there, for however long that is; simply, they know it is not their last home.

I agree, do the reno and enjoy it while you live there. From a personal standpoint, I use my kitchen a LOT more than most people I know and from experience, having had granite in one home and silestone (quartz) in another, I prefer the quartz hands down from a cleaning and maintenance perspective.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,630,504 times
While I agree that man made products like Silestone can be preferred for their low maintenance and ease of fabrication the VAST majority of buyers do not associate its look with the "premium price" that it is marketed at.

For resale (and frankly unbeatable natural variance) I recommend granite for all but the most "hard modern" renovations in the mid/upper brackets. For low end a nice laminate is fine.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,440,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I agree that man made products like Silestone can be preferred for their low maintenance and ease of fabrication the VAST majority of buyers do not associate its look with the "premium price" that it is marketed at.

For resale (and frankly unbeatable natural variance) I recommend granite for all but the most "hard modern" renovations in the mid/upper brackets. For low end a nice laminate is fine.
Yes, that's what I said, too. Every homebuyer on House Hunters wants granite. So while design trends show other materials coming into vogue, such as quartz and marble, buyers still equate granite with "upscale". And once every Tom Dick and Harry have something, it's no longer upscale. I personally am tired of seeing granite. I had it installed in 2003 (Baltic Brown), so I've been-there, done-that. I'm also sick of the busy, splotchy, shiny look of granite, and especially combined with the faux Tuscan style. Guess that's why I like the kitchen above.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:50 PM

630 posts, read 1,721,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
I don't think the OP said they were going to live there for an absolute 2 - 5 yrs. What the OP said is that they want to reno so they can enjoy it while live there, for however long that is; simply, they know it is not their last home.
Sunset is correct! I have been doing ALOT of homework and narrowed down my choices. Cream w/hazelnut glazing or maple w/cocoa glazing. The glazing adds to the expense but makes such a difference to me..it's worth it. I will work my way out from there. Probably do the opposite color in the island. I've met with 2 cabinet companies and went to Lowe's..all said both are popular around here. Also..here..it's granite all the way. I think I'm going to change the trim out to a cream regardless of what cabinet color I go with. I've priced out AristoKraft but may go with a higher quality cabinet since there's room in the budget. Not sure where the person lives who said I couldn't get kitchen cabinets for $8-10k...they were WRONG. Quote for my kitchen with a bar is $4100..w/dovetail and pull out drawers. Oh and a garage. That's not installed though..waiting on her to email me the quote. What's hitting the pocket book is the granite. It's actually cheaper than quartz at the stone company here.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,440,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
Sunset is correct! I have been doing ALOT of homework and narrowed down my choices. Cream w/hazelnut glazing or maple w/cocoa glazing. The glazing adds to the expense but makes such a difference to me..it's worth it. I will work my way out from there. Probably do the opposite color in the island. I've met with 2 cabinet companies and went to Lowe's..all said both are popular around here. Also..here..it's granite all the way. I think I'm going to change the trim out to a cream regardless of what cabinet color I go with. I've priced out AristoKraft but may go with a higher quality cabinet since there's room in the budget. Not sure where the person lives who said I couldn't get kitchen cabinets for $8-10k...they were WRONG. Quote for my kitchen with a bar is $4100..w/dovetail and pull out drawers. Oh and a garage. That's not installed though..waiting on her to email me the quote. What's hitting the pocket book is the granite. It's actually cheaper than quartz at the stone company here.
I think our impression was that your TOTAL was $8-10K, not just the cabinets.

Yes, that's what we said -- quartz is more expensive than granite. But granite is still expensive, especially if you want an island. But you definitely cannot compromise on that. What else would you get -- faux granite in Formica? No...you won't be happy. Granite prices do run the gamut, though, depending on what "Price Group" you're in. Make sure you shop around. I got my quartz at Home Depot (sub-contractor) and they did do an excellent job. Make sure you know where the seams will be when they do the template.

I like the cream cabinets with the hazelnut glazing. Sounds very pretty.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,693,474 times
Quote:
Not sure where the person lives who said I couldn't get kitchen cabinets for $8-10k...they were WRONG. Quote for my kitchen with a bar is $4100..w/dovetail and pull out drawers.
Anyone can buy cabinets. Only a skilled carpenter can make them look good. Dont cheap out on the install, you will regret it. $8-10k still sounds about right. You have plumbing, electrical, all kinds of stuff your not budgeting for. This stuff adds up fast. You will see.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:26 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,953,220 times
Quote:
Sounds pretty, Pajama mama! Actually I liked your kitchen to begin with because it is so light and airy, but your plans above sound like they would make it even prettier. If you can change out the light fixtures I think that will make a huge difference too, and they can show off the granite.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 PM

37,166 posts, read 42,353,577 times
Nothing drive me crazier than those idiots on House Hunters who complain about a perfectly fine kitchen that doesn't have granite and SS appliances. I've seen the "3 months later" recaps where brand new appliances have been replaced with SS. I really think people are off their rocker and totally get why so many people are in financial straights.

That said, I like quartz and solid surface material like Corian better than granite. I've never met a granite that didn't have an issue of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate