Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 AM

399 posts, read 854,988 times

Advertisements

In past years buyers went into a home expecting to do some fixing up to their own expectations once they owned the property. Times have changed and as we all know it has been a definite buyer's market for a number of years now. So sellers are putting a lot of cash into their homes making them almost brand new to attract buyers. I think the pendulum will again swing back to a buyer wanting to purchase not on the new wood floors and fancy kitchen counters but on the best they can get for their money with the intention on putting some of their own money into some repairs. I would look for a solid foundation, no water, decent construction and good upkeep. Although my house is not in "perfect" shape we have completed a major repair each year whether it be a new furnace or garage door. Good upkeep is key not necessarily a showplace to realize a sale. And of course the price must be right. So if I am scoping out a house I pretty much know the space I need, property should look good from the street, clean on the inside, and a few extras. I can live with it and plan on making some upgrades. Let's face it, not every property out there that you may want to purchase is in A+ condition. Simple but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
If
IF things get too out of hand I will just keep the place listed for years to come until it sells.
Now there's a marketing strategy.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
In past years buyers went into a home expecting to do some fixing up to their own expectations once they owned the property. Times have changed and as we all know it has been a definite buyer's market for a number of years now. So sellers are putting a lot of cash into their homes making them almost brand new to attract buyers. I think the pendulum will again swing back to a buyer wanting to purchase not on the new wood floors and fancy kitchen counters but on the best they can get for their money with the intention on putting some of their own money into some repairs. I would look for a solid foundation, no water, decent construction and good upkeep. Although my house is not in "perfect" shape we have completed a major repair each year whether it be a new furnace or garage door. Good upkeep is key not necessarily a showplace to realize a sale. And of course the price must be right. So if I am scoping out a house I pretty much know the space I need, property should look good from the street, clean on the inside, and a few extras. I can live with it and plan on making some upgrades. Let's face it, not every property out there that you may want to purchase is in A+ condition. Simple but true.
Interesting and while I do not disagree with you, I think you and I might have a time warp issue.

I believe when it was a sellers market, buyers were willing to pay but they wanted what/where they wanted at those prices.

I believe when it became a buyers market, buyers were looking to get the house at such a cheap price that what/where took a back seat to the price.

I believe the present market is more coming to the middle (fairer to buyers/sellers). Buyers in that I am not looking to steal it but I do want a few things for my money. Sellers in that I know I may have sell it at a lower then its highest price but do expect to steal it.

Of course some will always be a few steps ahead or behind the market....time warp...seller/buyer...half full/half empty...real estate people pumping sunshine up ones butt regardless of buyer/seller market.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:50 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Interesting and while I do not disagree with you, I think you and I might have a time warp issue.

I believe when it was a sellers market, buyers were willing to pay but they wanted what/where they wanted at those prices.

I believe when it became a buyers market, buyers were looking to get the house at such a cheap price that what/where took a back seat to the price.

I believe the present market is more coming to the middle (fairer to buyers/sellers). Buyers in that I am not looking to steal it but I do want a few things for my money. Sellers in that I know I may have sell it at a lower then its highest price but do expect to steal it.

Of course some will always be a few steps ahead or behind the market....time warp...seller/buyer...half full/half empty...real estate people pumping sunshine up ones butt regardless of buyer/seller market.
I am guessing this is how things are going down in some parts of the country:

Seller marks home for 200k -> buyer wants to pay 50 cents plus it needs to be model home conditon -> seller cant sell because there are no real buyers so the home goes into foreclosure or short sale and the neighborhood becomes a slum.

If the owner owns it out right they just sit on the property. Am I missing anything here. A buyer who cant pay list price is not a buyer they are just people saying numbers, congraduations you can speak the english language lol. I understand there is haggling somewhere around 5-7k of list and maybe some closing costs, etc.

Most americans could not save their way out of a wet paper bag, THAT is the problem not that property is over priced. I understand certian places in cali that are genuinly outragiously priced but most places in the USA are reasonably priced its just that so few americans are fiscally responsible enough there are fewer and fewer true buyers out there.

It would be like building a nice modern home in hati and then trying to sell it lol. That is what the face of america is starting to become. People are getting ruder and nastier and want a good deal to the point that its a hand out. I shook my head at the woman who pepper sprayed other people to get a door buster X box, that is what we have denigrated to as a nation.

I watched pearl harbor the other day and my wife and I wished we coudl have lived in that time period right after WW2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate