Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,673,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You are assuming that without an agent you are going to get the house for 3% less. How will you know that?
I am not assuming saving anything and 3% is not enough to sway a home purchase one way or another for me.

What I would want is a qualified/certified home inspector type. Not just some real estate agent with contracts wanting the typical buyers agent fee of 3%. My last real estate agent did a good job for me, but she would not know a Ground Fault Circuit Interupter (GFCI) from a wine bottle cork.....LOL

I know of two licensed home inspectors that specialize in being the buyers eyes on site during home construction in one of the areas largest developments. They do it for a reasonable flat fee but I admit I have forgotten the fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,585,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
If I am not able to visit/inspect my new home being built, then I do want someone representing me on site. Now all we have to do is agree to ones qualifications and charge. No way it will be close to 3% of the purchase price and a "qualified/certified" home inspector would be of more interest to me than a "basic" real estate agent.
Quote:
I am not assuming saving anything and 3% is not enough to sway a home purchase one way or another for me.

What I would want is a qualified/certified home inspector type. Not just some real estate agent with contracts wanting the typical buyers agent fee of 3%. ...
If the issue is not "saving" the RE agent fee, then why is the RE agent checking construction progress and adherence to the buyer's specs an issue for you? No one said you can't also hire an inspector to periodically check as well (and I would recommended to do so).

Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
If the issue is not "saving" the RE agent fee, then why is the RE agent checking construction progress and adherence to the buyer's specs an issue for you? No one said you can't also hire an inspector to periodically check as well (and I would recommended to do so).
My last real estate agent did a good job for me, but she would not know a Ground Fault Circuit Interupter (GFCI) from a wine bottle cork.....LOL

Need I repeat?

Having a hammer and a saw does not make one a builder.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
My last real estate agent did a good job for me, but she would not know a Ground Fault Circuit Interupter (GFCI) from a wine bottle cork.....LOL

Need I repeat?

Having a hammer and a saw does not make one a builder.
I got it the first time. I did not think we were only discussing your experience. Not all agents are clueless about home construction. Hopefully she could have at least taken photos of the construction progress and ensured that they at least did not miss glaring items. And as mentioned, there's still the option to hire an inspector if you have so little confidence in your agent.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Hopefully she could have at least taken photos of the construction progress and ensured that they at least did not miss glaring items.

The builders sales agent did this almost ad nausem and I did not "directly" pay her thus no reason for another not know what a GFCI is, picture taker...already had one of them....LOL

Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
We used an exclusive Buyer's Agent on my recent purchase (Aug 2011).

We couldn't be happier with the service, information and attention to detail provided. I learned more than I needed to but am a believer because he's representing you and your interests.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Hopefully she could have at least taken photos of the construction progress and ensured that they at least did not miss glaring items.

The builders sales agent did this almost ad nausem and I did not "directly" pay her thus no reason for another not know what a GFCI is, picture taker...already had one of them....LOL
Fine, if you want to persist in making this only about you then the discussion is done.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:10 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,630 times
Quote:

What I would want is a qualified/certified home inspector type. Not just some real estate agent with contracts wanting the typical buyers agent fee of 3%. My last real estate agent did a good job for me, but she would not know a Ground Fault Circuit Interupter (GFCI) from a wine bottle cork.....LOL

I know of two licensed home inspectors that specialize in being the buyers eyes on site during home construction in one of the areas largest developments. They do it for a reasonable flat fee but I admit I have forgotten the fee.

My sister just built a house 2000 miles from where she was living. She got an inspector as you described. It was not all that much money. Well under 1% of the purchase price. There was a lot of new construction in that area and hers was not the only house he was doing. She thought it was well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate