Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:25 PM

12 posts, read 42,367 times

Advertisements

Our disclosure form states we must disclose "any material defects, conditions, and facts known to seller which may materially affect the value of the property." I'm not sure if this issue needs to be told, and that is that the garage, while referred to as a 2 car, really only fits 1. We only noticed after we purchased, but the garage is only 18 feet deep and the steps into the house stick out so far that you can't park a normal size car in that slot--maybe a tiny car would fit. There is no room to change the steps and you need this many (4) to get into the house. We really felt like fools when we realized we had purchased an expensive new home and couldn't park our car like we had always done, simpy because we didn't notice and assumed it would fit.

I haven't mentioned this to the realtor or anyone, but I know she thinks it is a 2 car garage and is advertised as such and is wide enough to be a 2 car, just not deep enough.

Is this part of disclosure or just up to the buyer to notice most cars won't fit? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 04:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
Laws vary a lot by state. Here, it would be up to the buyer to determine if the space was enough for them or not. I've found that most people just make floor to ceiling piles of junk in their garages.

I use mine for 2 of my 4 cars every night.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:53 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGreen22 View Post
Our disclosure form states we must disclose "any material defects, conditions, and facts known to seller which may materially affect the value of the property." ...
Would you have offered the same price if you knew it was only good for one car? Sounds like a material fact to me.

Suggest you discuss with your agent.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
I agree it varies by state. I know of one house in my area that we had a client almost make an offer on, then they realized that because of the really weird angle on the driveway, they could park their car, or their truck in the garage, but not both. The garage was big enough, but you couldn't make the angle to park a 2nd vehicle if one was already in the garage. It did not have to be disclosed.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
18X18 is about standard in my area. It's considered "oversized" if it's 20X20... are you sure you don't just have a longer car than most? Would a Civic or Accord or smaller sedan fit? Probably. I would call it a 2 car garage.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
18X18 is about standard in my area. It's considered "oversized" if it's 20X20... are you sure you don't just have a longer car than most? Would a Civic or Accord or smaller sedan fit? Probably. I would call it a 2 car garage.
I think their problem is that it is 18x18 but has 4 steps that extend out into the 18' depth, which means they maybe only have 16' for the car.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM

12 posts, read 42,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
We have a Malibu; if you hit the steps with the front end door may go down, depends on how perfectly you center it, but then you can't get up the steps into the house because the car blocks them. Our slightly longer Taurus sticks out into the driveway and door won't go down. We can easily put either car on the non-step side, but the side with the steps is useless to us. Our cars are not small, but I don't believe they are too terribly long.

The garage is actually probably just under 18 feet if I recall from measuring it--17 feet 9 inches or so.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:49 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGreen22 View Post
We have a Malibu; if you hit the steps with the front end door may go down, depends on how perfectly you center it, but then you can't get up the steps into the house because the car blocks them. Our slightly longer Taurus sticks out into the driveway and door won't go down. We can easily put either car on the non-step side, but the side with the steps is useless to us. Our cars are not small, but I don't believe they are too terribly long.

The garage is actually probably just under 18 feet if I recall from measuring it--17 feet 9 inches or so.

If it meets the definition of two car garage, then it is a two car garage. We have some homes out here that have garages like that and it took forever to sell them because most buyers could walk in and see that two larger cars would not fit. It had to be a larger car paired with a Civic type of situation like yours.

Chat with your agent and decide what you should do. Out here it isn't a disclosure issue since it isn't a defect because they are legally two car garages, just not practical two car garages. If it meets the legal requirements then it meets the legal requirements. Just depends on your area.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:12 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
Would you need to disclose if a bedroom was too small for a queen bed?

I think if a compact car (not a Smartcar, mind you) fits then it's a garage space.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Would you need to disclose if a bedroom was too small for a queen bed?
VERY true!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate