Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,615 times

Advertisements

We have 4 condos in the association with one owner who has rented out her unit and moved out, with three remainig owner occupants. This was not discussed with any of the other owners

I have concerns that re-sale and re-fi may be impacted for the others, and want to bring this up at the next meeting. No one can locate the CC&Rs, and assuming they are silent on the rental policy, which they may be, how do we build in a clause on rentals into the CC&Rs, and do you have recs on an atty to help us with this?

Assuming there is a clause and the owners actions have tied our hands, any ideas on how to proceed? We operate very informally and to date have never discussed or referenced the CC&Rs...

Thaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsanfran View Post

No one can locate the CC&Rs, and assuming they are silent on the rental policy, which they may be, how do we build in a clause on rentals into the CC&Rs, and do you have recs on an atty to help us with this?
Locate your governing documents. Try the county courthouse. The docs will likely tell you what 's necessary to amend them, assuming you want to do so. This can vary association to association and state by state.

Most HOAs hire an attorney with an HOA/Condo special practices, to handle amendements for them. Call around to other area associations for referrals.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:15 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Locate your governing documents. Try the county courthouse. The docs will likely tell you what 's necessary to amend them, assuming you want to do so. This can vary association to association and state by state.

Most HOAs hire an attorney with an HOA/Condo special practices, to handle amendements for them. Call around to other area associations for referrals.
Sound advice. The governing documents of your association will point the way.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times
Quote:
This was not discussed with any of the other owners
Doesn't need to be discussed. You each own your own unit. Owning means not asking permission to do what you want inside your own house that you pay for.

Quote:
I have concerns that re-sale and re-fi may be impacted for the others, and want to bring this up at the next meeting.
If you were not formally told about these rentals..... you have no knowledge of these rentals, therefore all units are owner occupied if the bank asks for a resale certificate.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Doesn't need to be discussed. You each own your own unit. Owning means not asking permission to do what you want inside your own house that you pay for. ...
That's your assumption. It depends on what the CC&Rs may require. There are many that have restrictions on rentals.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Lawyer Referral Service | Need a San Francisco Lawyer?

Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
That's your assumption. It depends on what the CC&Rs may require. There are many that have restrictions on rentals.
I understand restrictions, I just dont always follow the rules when it comes to property I own. Others feel the same.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
I understand restrictions, I just dont always follow the rules when it comes to property I own. Others feel the same.
and folks like me buy those properties from HOA lien sales for dirt cheap, let the Constable throw the previous owner who didn't obey the rules out on the street, sell it for a profit to someone else, and buy more with the profits. Thank you for making 2011 one heck of a windfall year

Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Quote:
That's the very reason that HOA's and related Docs. exist --- because some buy into jointly-shared condos and multi-plexes ... and then behave like they are the only ones living there!

What about when you (or someone else) decides to take actions that will/do reduce the value of adjacent properties? Is that just their 'tough luck?'

Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM

We are talking about following rules about renting the unit you own, nothing more. There are many, many ways around this.

Foreclosures are going to climb and climb, eventually HOA/condo are going to realize units with renters equals dues getting paid. Foreclosure equals no dues, sometimes for years. When enough units stop paying, they will look the other way. They will have no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate