Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 33,562 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea on how much it costs to get lead paint professionally removed?

We have lead paint on the windows, skirting boards and picture rails in 3 rooms of our house, which we'd like to take back to the original hardwood.

If anyone can give me an idea on how much that would cost it'd be greatly appreciated. Or if perhaps it would be more affordable to just get new windows put in?

We're just starting our family so we'd rather not DIY.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Call a contractor or painter who is certified by the EPA to do renovations on pre-1978 construction (req'd by law if you disturb more than 6 sq feet of interior surface area unless you personally, the owner, do it inside your own residence) and get estimates. It could be cheaper to replace these trim items if you can match the style w/ your original construction. Don't do this if you can't match the looks perfectly or these few areas will really stand out.

google "lead paint renovation law" and see if you can find contractors in your area.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
What Kona said. The cost will certainly be higher than if they were just removing newer paint. Construction costs are always local, so get a few quotes...they are free.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
In general I'd say $12-15/square foot, however, it varies depending on accessibility and number of layers above and below it. DIY for lead paint is actually illegal. If you do the work yourself you can replace the windows without disturbing the lead, but even that would probably cost more and you could get into trouble if you take the old ones to the local landfill.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:20 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
What runs up the cost is the containment during the removal process. Everything must be meticuously masked off so the lead does not go through the home during the removal process, particularly if there is sanding going on. And there's pretty much ALWAYS going to be sanding going on. There are a lot of people who will tell you they can do it, but you really need to get someone who is certified. I've seen contractors charge exorbitant rates and don't even put up a piece of plastic with tape to contain the dust. Certified renovators are trained in containment and removal.

Here is a link.

Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA

Look to the far right and you will see a link in little tiny print immediately under the Lead Safe Certified Firm about finding certified firms in your area.

Be sure to ask them if they have all the right equipment for containment and ask for their certification and insurance.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In general I'd say $12-15/square foot, however, it varies depending on accessibility and number of layers above and below it. DIY for lead paint is actually illegal. If you do the work yourself you can replace the windows without disturbing the lead, but even that would probably cost more and you could get into trouble if you take the old ones to the local landfill.
While not sure where lead paint might or might not be, let us look at a 12x12 foot room with 4 walls and a ceiling and 8 foot high walls, forget the floor.

If I have not had to much to drink...yet..that will be 528sq ft of walls and ceilings.

Not let us say we use your figure of $12 per sq ft, we are talking close to $6,000.00 for that room.

Might I assume you do this for a living and would take as many of these rooms as you can?

Kind of like tiling at $20.00 per sq ft...another chat....LOL

I could be wrong and I do need another drink.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
While not sure where lead paint might or might not be, let us look at a 12x12 foot room with 4 walls and a ceiling and 8 foot high walls, forget the floor.

If I have not had to much to drink...yet..that will be 528sq ft of walls and ceilings.

Not let us say we use your figure of $12 per sq ft, we are talking close to $6,000.00 for that room.

Might I assume you do this for a living and would take as many of these rooms as you can?

Kind of like tiling at $20.00 per sq ft...another chat....LOL

I could be wrong and I do need another drink.
$6,000 for a room sounds about right.

I don't do it for a living but am in commercial property management and we recently did a warehouse. It's not a cheap job. Most homes only have it on the wood trim though, so the square footage is not for the room, but for the wood actually being cleaned. A vintage 2 BR 3 BA home with lead only on the trim inside might be $10,000. What really shocks the homeowner is when they have exterior clapboards with lead paint, which could easily run $50,000.

Have another drink.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 33,562 times
Thank you all so much!

That is very helpful information!

Cheers!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 21,691 times
it will likely be cheaper to replace the trim, however, any disturbance of the material with the lead based paint requires special handling so it will cost more than just replacing the trim unless you DIY. (not sure where the information posted earlier on DIY work being illegal comes from but I was told by contractors and adjusters that I could do the work myself here in Missouri)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate