Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM

10 posts, read 21,388 times

Advertisements

Anyone has insights of negotiating with a builder on a new construction? Is it true that the builder would never give in on price, but more on upgrades? How is the housing market compared to 2011 and 2010 in NJ?

How can I get information on recently sold from one builder: price sold and the asking prices (including all the upgrades)? Seems I couldn't find anything on the web.

What's the most important thing we'd keep in mind when buying a new construction?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Have you thought about using a RE agent to help you?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 21,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Have you thought about using a RE agent to help you?
If the RE agent can help, I sure will. But if I can get the same information and deal with the builder directly, will that save me more?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdata View Post
If the RE agent can help, I sure will. But if I can get the same information and deal with the builder directly, will that save me more?
Doubtful. Working with a good agent will save you more money. Asking advice on the internet usually gets you what you pay for.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdata View Post
Anyone has insights of negotiating with a builder on a new construction? Is it true that the builder would never give in on price, but more on upgrades? How is the housing market compared to 2011 and 2010 in NJ?

How can I get information on recently sold from one builder: price sold and the asking prices (including all the upgrades)? Seems I couldn't find anything on the web.

What's the most important thing we'd keep in mind when buying a new construction?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!
YOU don't do it. Your realtor does

Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Get a realtor.

Reminds me of posts we get from people who've heard realtors are a rip-off, so they want to list/buy for-sale-by-owner. Then the first question is something like "how do I know if this contract is fair?"

Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Builders hardly ever lower prices b/c that makes them vulnerable to everyone who wants a lower price. What they will do is give you some upgrades for free or a minimal price. This is true if you are buying a spec house, i.e., one that is already started. If you are trying to negotiate before they even break ground, I think you are out of luck.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:58 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
What would a realtor do to make a contractor lower a bid price? I don't get it... I did a remodeling project and got 6 bids... the range was from 30k to 65k... ironically, the 30k gave me more custom options than the 65k... some people want more profit, others will do it for less... I didn't get a realtor involved because I don't understand why I would pay more for a "middleman"... If I was the OP, I just get a whole bunch of bids and see who you are more comfortable with... I would get a realtor if I was buying a property but not building a property... builders won't lower a price because you have a realtor, it just cost you more to have one... If I were you, I would get an architect, interior design, engineer, and a contractor if it was a complicated project... your architect should be able to negotiate with the contractor for materials and labor (that's their job)... but keep in mind, architects are EXPENSIVE...

Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Architects are not particularly expensive - I used one for a massive remodel job. The OP is talking about buying in a subdivision where the only choice is the floor plan and finish. This is not a remodel.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 PM

621 posts, read 3,207,047 times
Get a realtor, the builder will be the one to pay his/her commission and they will be invaluable in navigating through the process. Also, look and see if they have any inventory homes. You can usually get a good deal on those, but you won't be able to customize as much as one you have built. I've bought 2 new homes and both were inventory homes and they were great deals. For my current home I paid the base price for that model and it has $58,000 worth of upgrades in it. It may not of had the exact cabinets I would have picked, but it was a beautiful house at a great price. If you build one from the ground up, I hear there is not much room in negotiating the price, but like you said you can negotiate upgrades. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate