Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times

Advertisements

I just came from an inspection of a vacant home where they had those plug in room deodorizers. They had two in every bedroom, one in each bathroom, two in the kitchen, in the hallways, three in the living room, and two in the dining room.
I was overwhelmed by the odor as soon as I walked in. It wasn't long before I had a splitting headache.

They didn't have a wet crawlspace, or any mold problems, but maybe they had pet odors or something of that nature.

It was disgusting.
Sorry for the rant, but really, what could they have been thinking?

By the way, my inspection was for someone that was thinking of making an offer, they hadn't yet. Not sure they will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:34 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I just came from an inspection of a vacant home where they had those plug in room deodorizers. They had two in every bedroom, one in each bathroom, two in the kitchen, in the hallways, three in the living room, and two in the dining room.
I was overwhelmed by the odor as soon as I walked in. It wasn't long before I had a splitting headache.

They didn't have a wet crawlspace, or any mold problems, but maybe they had pet odors or something of that nature.

It was disgusting.
Sorry for the rant, but really, what could they have been thinking?

By the way, my inspection was for someone that was thinking of making an offer, they hadn't yet. Not sure they will.

I took buyers in one house (wife was pregnant) and the vanilla scent was so overpowering she almost vomited. We had to leave after about a minute in the house.

I'm always telling my sellers, no plug-ins. They are nasty.

Last edited by Silverfall; 03-05-2012 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The "clean means clean NOT covered up" mantra is lost on some people. The benefits of some the "odor neutrilizer" type products (like Expel, Renuzit and Febreeze) can help with subtle pet odor issues and such, but once you have a "zoo like" level of yuckiness you have got to get carpets cleaned or removed...

Old 03-05-2012, 02:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
My guess is as bad as that was it would have been worse without them. Or at least that is what you almost have to assume.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
And the problem, Manderly, is that quite often that is NOT the case. Some people like scent. I have a dear friend whose car has such a strong scent of her perfume, I insist we use my car. And I had to ask her to please cut down the perfume as it was giving me headaches.

Some people think scent is positive.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Just like some people can't hear as well as others and some can't see as well as others,
some can't smell as well as others. It takes a lot more stimulation to get a sensation.

I have an uncle who was asked on a plane "did you take a bath in that cologne?"
He often smells like he did. He just doesn't get it.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I like them, but that many in a house would make me sneeze like crazy too!

I have 3 in 1350 sq feet.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
When house hunting...

We went in one that smelled like cat $h!t... we were thinking why would a person want to sell if they took no effort to try to sell, an effort which includes either ridding the cat smell totally (more expensive way) or at least masking it (less expensive way). Needless to say, many buyers were turned off by that smell as that place weren't sold for a year plus and that is in a seek after neighbourhood.

Visual is as important as the smell.
Some might be turned off as a buyer with too sensitive as an overpowering plugin... some might not be. So with a plug in it leaves a 50-50 chance, if no special discount is in place.
Now... I would most possibly say "NObody" would want to buy a home smelling aweful of animal pee & dirty human odor (think hoarder) unless there is a huge discount in place to remedy the problem.
Which way would a potential seller choose to do?

If looking at both sides of the coin, or stories from whose end?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Some people think if one is good, then twenty is even better.
When I was looking at homes to buy there were days I cursed out HGTV and what they have done to America's RE

Seriously though, the HGTV shows have influenced buyers/sellers about RE and not all in good ways.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You do realize they can be unplugged, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate