Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM

17 posts, read 46,747 times

Advertisements

Real estate agent, realtor, real estate broker and other similar titles, do they all mean the same or are there differences? When looking to purchase a home, just go with any of the above?

Aside from advice like finding someone that works the area you want to buy in, someone with some years of experience, any other suggestions in finding someone for a house purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
I would say they're about the same, though people in the field might disagree. The term Realtor is reserved for real estate agents who join the Natl. Assoc. of Realtors, I believe. A broker is a step above an agent and all agents work with a broker, I think.

My advice would be ignore the titles and find an agent you click with, who provides the type of service you like, as in responsive, professional, knowledgeable, etc.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMC2012 View Post
Real estate agent, realtor, real estate broker and other similar titles, do they all mean the same or are there differences? When looking to purchase a home, just go with any of the above?

Aside from advice like finding someone that works the area you want to buy in, someone with some years of experience, any other suggestions in finding someone for a house purchase?
Real Estate Agent refers to anyone that has a real estate license.

REALTOR® refers to someone that is a member of the National Association of REALTORS®.

Real Estate Broker can have different meanings depending on the state. Some states have real estate associate/salesperson licenses. The Real Estate Broker is generally their supervisor. In some states all real estate licensees are real estate brokers and their superviser is called a Principal Broker.

I still think one of the best ways to find a good buyer agent is to find a good listing agent. Look at listing photos online. Agents that take the time to have good photos of their listings actually care about their clients and doing a good job, generally speaking. If an agent has crooked photos, dark and blurry ones, that is someone that doesn't have a good work ethic or care enough about their clients to do a good job for them. Agents with a lot of listings typically don't act as buyer agents as well, but if you can find an agent with 5-15 listings that look good (even the less expensive ones), chances are you have a good agent on your hands. I'd start interviewing those agents. Interview at least three of them and see which one seems like the best fit for you.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 11,249 times
Default If you are in NY I would advise the following

If you are in NY there are some things to be aware of if you use a buyer's agent. Any agent can be a buyer's agent; it depends on their representation in that particular deal. You should use a buyer's agent because they are working for you and are there to protect your interests. Make sure that the agent takes what the seller is offering as his whole commission; some will want you to make up the difference and will try to get you to sign an agreement saying so. Secondly, I recommend not signing a buyer's exclusive agreement. It locks you into one realtor for a period of time so that even if the realtor is doing a bad job for you, you're stuck with them. You are guaranteed with a broker a certain amount of experience, with an agent you have to ask a few more questions. I think more important that agent or brokers are the person’s certifications. For a buyer's agent you would like to see an ABR (Accredited Buyer's Representative) after their name or a CBR (Certified Buyer Representative) either of those means that they took the time for additional education to provide better service to buyers.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
Go by agent reviews... the more 5 star the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate