Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Real-estate Sector only, what's your thoughts on a recession?
Don't foresee a recession 6 22.22%
Already in a recession 9 33.33%
Recession will hit within a year 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM

412 posts, read 1,028,781 times

Advertisements

Putting the Gross Domestic Product reports aside and looking only at the Real-estate Sector, would you say we are in a recession already, nearing one or don't foresee one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 01:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
If it occurs depends on a couple of things including the fed if .....

Old 09-15-2007, 05:20 AM

I've read where the cost of borrowing money has been to cheap from the fed and that's why were in this mess. Should be interesting what the board decides on Tuesday.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:42 PM

609 posts, read 2,118,419 times
I think the FED will lower rates 25 basis points next week but too little too late. I am not crazy about Greenspan, but agree when he says Bush's monetary and tax policies were politically driven, which we are paying for now and I am afraid the pain is going to get worse.
This is not all sub prime mortgage based. Oil at $80 and commodity prices going through the roof are all contributors.

I hope I am wrong but I think tough times are on the horizon.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
I think the FED will lower rates 25 basis points next week but too little too late. I am not crazy about Greenspan, but agree when he says Bush's monetary and tax policies were politically driven, which we are paying for now and I am afraid the pain is going to get worse.
This is not all sub prime mortgage based. Oil at $80 and commodity prices going through the roof are all contributors.

I hope I am wrong but I think tough times are on the horizon.
Little to late, I would have to agree. Now the sucking sound of the economy is getting louder. Oil topped off with job losses could send this all downj the drain. Let's hope were both wrong.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:37 AM

61 posts, read 95,275 times
I find it hilarious that 6 months before the tech crash the media began asking the question and asked it every day, is it a bubble? I find it hilarious that 6 months before the housing collapse, the media began asking the question and asked it every day,is it a bubble. I knew, and I suspect many of you knew at least six months prior to the media focus on thes subjects that they were both bubbles. Just good ole common sense. Now over six months ago I became aware that we were in a recession. You may trust that it is not a mild recession. The housing sector will experience not a v shape recovery but a protracted lazy script u shape recovery. The bottom of that u will depend on how long sellers hang on to the unreality of a market that was set by less than 10 per cent of sales. How quickly attrition will reset the market. Lets see if realtors can be as influential in convincing sellers of the reality versus the dream. They helped to peddle the dream pretty well.
Politics will determine the length of the recession. The republicans will preside over a shorter recession the dems over a longer recession. Make no mistake, the recession is here and will last through the election.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:46 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Yes, a fairly serious recession is coming.
We should have had it in 2001, but dropping the rates so much for so long inflated a second bubble which delayed the recession from happening properly. Which makes this one harder.
Food costs have shot up, gas is up, housing through the roof (to be corrected somewhat). The economy has been driven by housing funded debt, most jobs created have been in the service industry (except for housing and those are dropping rapidly). We NEED a recession to clear out the fat, make America leaner and more competitive again.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:32 AM

And to add to the 2 previous posts, income is dropping.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
It can recess all it wants AFTER we sell!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It can recess all it wants AFTER we sell!
LOL Jim, I know what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate