Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,866,501 times

Advertisements

Have you thought about moving out before putting the house on the market? It sounds like it would be the best option. Can you buy a new house before selling the first? Can you find a house that will rent it back to you until you can buy it? Can you move to a basic rent house on a month to month until it sells for you to be able to buy the new house? I have buyers who won't even walk into houses with cats... the smell of 8 dogs might not be apparent to you, but it will be to many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM

15,608 posts, read 40,557,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Have you thought about moving out before putting the house on the market? It sounds like it would be the best option. Can you buy a new house before selling the first? Can you find a house that will rent it back to you until you can buy it? Can you move to a basic rent house on a month to month until it sells for you to be able to buy the new house? I have buyers who won't even walk into houses with cats... the smell of 8 dogs might not be apparent to you, but it will be to many others.
This was going to be my advice. Find a place to rent while you sell your house. You need to move first. You would have to discount your house so much to compensate for the perception of the damage that 8 dogs will do that you'd be better off moving first. Seriously.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 AM

19,464 posts, read 27,972,650 times
Silverfall and falconhead, normally I almost always agree with you guys. But seriously - what landlord is gonna rent to someone that runs a doggie day care out of their home??

Ultimately, this business is probably against local zoning ordinance anyway. The best, real and long term solution is to move the business to cheap commercial rental property.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,158,423 times
Thanks for the opinions. Typically, I don't have 8 dogs at once but on holidays, it can happen. Sometimes, I don't have dogs but my own. I didn't use the house as a kennel. I watch a few dogs here and there but there's no telling when that would be. The dogs who stay here have to be housebroken, vaccinated and on flea prevention. I know some people don't like dogs but there is nothing I can do about that being I have my own dogs. I keep the house clean at all times which I think it's very important.

I've been doing this for about 2 years. Anyhow, I think I may have to stop advertising on Craigslist so I don't get anymore dogs. I have a couple regulars that come from time to time. I can schedule showing times around them.

I could use the income but I think in order to sell, I have to cut back on any new dogs.

Last edited by beckycat; 04-18-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 PM

158 posts, read 524,693 times
You can't schedule showing times around your occupancy or your house will never sell. Do you have a garage? Or a dog park/friend/neighbor/relative with a fenced in backyard within walking distance? I have known of Doggy Daycare places in industrial parks before. Maybe you can get a short term lease for a space? However it would probably wipe out all your profits.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:42 PM

19,464 posts, read 27,972,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobble View Post
You can't schedule showing times around your occupancy or your house will never sell. Do you have a garage? Or a dog park/friend/neighbor/relative with a fenced in backyard within walking distance? I have known of Doggy Daycare places in industrial parks before. Maybe you can get a short term lease for a space? However it would probably wipe out all your profits.
The OP is in Florida. The climate would eliminate all these options, I'm afraid.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,158,423 times
It's a tough one. I think the only option that I have is to stop taking dogs. One good thing is that several of my repeat clients head north for the summer. It will help a lot. My neighbor would help me out but she has 3 dogs and one of her dogs doesn't get along with other dogs.

Dog parks and a garage isn't going to work here in the summer. It's just way too hot.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM

223 posts, read 525,245 times
This reminds me of a short sale I recently saw. The house had at least 4 dogs in the backyard. The place smelled awful. I went into the garage and almost threw up. I don't mind animals, but I agree that people are going to be judging this more than you realize.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM

936 posts, read 2,207,600 times
Contrary to your statement, you are running a kennel. That's why a lot of dog watching companies in our area actually visit their customer's houses rather than taking the dogs to their own residence which is illegal.

I can't believe that your house doesn't have any odors from that many dogs.

You might need to get an opinion from some other people who have been in your house to see if they can smell any odors. If so, then I'd get it professionally cleaned.

If it has any odors then it will be very difficult to sell. There are some places with ozone generating machines that can assist in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate