Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
My post was the harshest, though I stand by it. Our buyer agency requires the buyer to guarantee 3% but then I sign a "Service Guarantee" that if it's over x% I rebate the overage and if it's a listed property that the seller won't pay 3% (REO's are the only issue with listed properties". If it's a FSBO as long as they let me talk to the FSBO, and if they won't cover it, I release them from the buyer agency to pursue the FSBO. The caveat of course is I get to talk to the FSBO prior to them talking to the owner. I do this because of course the seller is going to refuse a commission if the opportunity presents itself. If buyer looks at it first w/o the agent...well the OP has demonstrated the mess that ensues.

On a side note it allows the buyer to fire me if they are dissatisfied with my service.
That's basically what I do, but I've never had to release a buyer to pursue a FSBO. Haven't closed that many FSBOs because the seller always seems to be defective or disconnected from reality in some way. Had one that wanted to use his own forms. My buyer and I said "no thanks" and we moved on. Buyer said "I'm so glad I have you".

Of all the transactions that could go wrong and bite a buyer, a FSBO is the highest risk. Hiring an attorney and foregoing an experienced Realtor increases the risk because neither the buyer or the attorney "know what they don't know", and perhaps neither does the seller.

If it's a cookie cutter deal with no problems, written on a promulgated state contract, and the inspections go well, it could go fine. But I doubt it.

Good luck to the buyer. And shame on the agent for not instilling enough trust and confidence in the buyer that the buyer wouldn't even think about proceeding without guidance.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM

487 posts, read 1,357,622 times
Ann, Im sorry you signed a buyer agency contract.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:04 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Steve, agreed. I've never had it to be an issue. I've shown and sold FSBO's. They don't bother me. People always think agents are offended by FSBO's but I find that isn't the case at all. Heck, they are trying to save money and we can all appreciate that. I have more of a problem with stupid/dishonest/rude people, which sometimes are agents, than a FSBO in general.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
My post was the harshest, though I stand by it. Our buyer agency requires the buyer to guarantee 3% but then I sign a "Service Guarantee" that if it's over x% I rebate the overage and if it's a listed property that the seller won't pay 3% (REO's are the only issue with listed properties". If it's a FSBO as long as they let me talk to the FSBO, and if they won't cover it, I release them from the buyer agency to pursue the FSBO. The caveat of course is I get to talk to the FSBO prior to them talking to the owner. I do this because of course the seller is going to refuse a commission if the opportunity presents itself. If buyer looks at it first w/o the agent...well the OP has demonstrated the mess that ensues.

On a side note it allows the buyer to fire me if they are dissatisfied with my service.
Yeah but you have a contract that spells out your compensation. The OP is saying that the buyer agency agreement doesn't do that. So I stand by my post that any agent that doesn't address FSBO compensation in a buyer agency agreement isn't a good agent.

I totally agree that if agents talk to the FSBO first then they often agree to pay compensation, but I and, I assume you too, chat with our buyers about this so they are clear on how we want to approach FSBO's. I guess I'm saying that if you are an agent, don't think through the process, and don't have an honest conversation with your buyers, then maybe you aren't that great an agent. I don't think it is fair to harsh on consumers if the agent doesn't set their expectations for how they do business.

If you get a haircut you are expected to pay after the cut. We pay our co-pays for a doctor at the time of the visit. My attorney bills me every month. Most professionals set expectations for compensation. If an agent fails to set an expectation for compensation, as a business provider, then I don't have a lot of sympathy for them when someone doesn't want to pay them.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:52 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yeah but you have a contract that spells out your compensation. The OP is saying that the buyer agency agreement doesn't do that. So I stand by my post that any agent that doesn't address FSBO compensation in a buyer agency agreement isn't a good agent.

I totally agree that if agents talk to the FSBO first then they often agree to pay compensation, but I and, I assume you too, chat with our buyers about this so they are clear on how we want to approach FSBO's. I guess I'm saying that if you are an agent, don't think through the process, and don't have an honest conversation with your buyers, then maybe you aren't that great an agent. I don't think it is fair to harsh on consumers if the agent doesn't set their expectations for how they do business.

If you get a haircut you are expected to pay after the cut. We pay our co-pays for a doctor at the time of the visit. My attorney bills me every month. Most professionals set expectations for compensation. If an agent fails to set an expectation for compensation, as a business provider, then I don't have a lot of sympathy for them when someone doesn't want to pay them.
We haven't heard from the agent, so it's not fair to assume that the contract didn't cover this issue or that the agent didn't explain it in the buyer interview, if the OP was willing have one. My REALTOR Board's forms "Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement" and my own company's forms (NRT Company owned) "Exclusive Right to Represent the Buyer" address this very clearly. However most consumers don't remember (and don't read) anything when they want to see houses. There are hundreds of questions on these boards asking for advice where the answer is almost always, "read the document that you committed to."

Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:

I don't think the OP clarified her agency contract at all.
She only mentioned that the attorney told her she owed nothing. That also is an opinion.

I would be curious to see exclusive agency agreement language that doesn't address representation and payment when no buyer agency commission is offered.
And I would wonder if that would be on a standard form or a proprietary firm form.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
The attorney has said I owe the realtor nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
There is no commission. NO COMMISSION. Not my fault. All I was trying to accomplish with this post was to get an idea of how I should compensate the guy when I don't actually owe him anything LEGALLY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
We haven't heard from the agent, so it's not fair to assume that the contract didn't cover this issue or that the agent didn't explain it in the buyer interview, if the OP was willing have one. My REALTOR Board's forms "Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement" and my own company's forms (NRT Company owned) "Exclusive Right to Represent the Buyer" address this very clearly. However most consumers don't remember (and don't read) anything when they want to see houses. There are hundreds of questions on these boards asking for advice where the answer is almost always, "read the document that you committed to."
I am making the assumption that the attorney can read and interpret the document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't think the OP clarified her agency contract at all.
She only mentioned that the attorney told her she owed nothing. That also is an opinion.

I would be curious to see exclusive agency agreement language that doesn't address representation and payment when no buyer agency commission is offered.
And I would wonder if that would be on a standard form or a proprietary firm form.
I am assuming that the attorney read the contract and advised her properly when he said that she legally owed the buyer agent nothing. That is what I asked first if it was an Exclusive Right to buy type of contract.

I highly doubt it is a standard form as those are heavily tilted towards real estate agents and would be ERB just like the listing contracts are. I am assuming it is some type of firm form.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I am making the assumption that the attorney can read and interpret the document.

I am assuming that the attorney read the contract and advised her properly when he said that she legally owed the buyer agent nothing. That is what I asked first if it was an Exclusive Right to buy type of contract.

I highly doubt it is a standard form as those are heavily tilted towards real estate agents and would be ERB just like the listing contracts are. I am assuming it is some type of firm form.
Sorry, I'm from Missouri on this one. There are too many things we don't know as the OP has only told her side of the story and my crap detector is on high.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Sorry, I'm from Missouri on this one.
Phew...Thank goodness for Google.

You are skeptical of consumers. I'm skeptical of agents. I think our biases are apparent in the thread.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Phew...Thank goodness for Google.

You are skeptical of consumers. I'm skeptical of agents. I think our biases are apparent in the thread.
Agreed, actually I'm skeptical of both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate