Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 07:15 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times

Advertisements

So, the seller of a property we put a bid on has rejected the appraisal our bank performed and said that we have to bring more money to the table. Unfortunately, we can't afford to do that. The seller has said that if we can't make up the difference between our bid and the appraisal (~$15k) they'll put it back on the market. Nothing has been written yet.

Isn't the ball still in their court? Shouldn't the process be they can order a new appraisal if they're unhappy with the one our bank did? Say they do decide to put it back on the market, that's $1000 that we sunk on an inspection and appraisal. Is there anything we can do to recoup that? What happens to our earnest money in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
The appraisal wasn't for the seller. It was for your bank in determining if they will give you a mortgage. The seller doesn't have to "reject" or "approve" anything. As to what happens now that should be determined by your contract. What does it say if the appraisal is less than the purchase price?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Have you or your agent instigated an appraisal audit and review with your lender? The lender has the opportunity to let them know the appraisal isn't satisfactory because of this, that, and the other. Your agent would then submit evidence as to why the appraisal is inaccurate.

As above, the seller isn't rejecting anything as it's nothing for them to reject. What your seller doesn't know is that appraisal is on record for several months so if they get another buyer, and that buyer's lender has an appraiser go out, that appraiser will see the report already done on the property.

And yes, if your contract says you can terminate because of financing because of an appraisal, you lose the money you've invested as that's not the seller's fault. Why should they owe you anything. The money you have invested is part of your due diligence prior to buying the property.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
What your seller doesn't know is that appraisal is on record for several months so if they get another buyer, and that buyer's lender has an appraiser go out, that appraiser will see the report already done on the property.
I've never heard of this before. The appraisal goes on record where? I have a good friend who's an appraiser. I'll have to ask him about this.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I've never heard of this before. The appraisal goes on record where? I have a good friend who's an appraiser. I'll have to ask him about this.
Each buyer gets a loan number tied to that property and tied to the appraisal through the lender. When a new buyer comes in, they can see there was another buyer on the file. I don't know the ins and outs of the appraisers' system, but I've been told by many appraisers that they can see previous appraisals within a certain time frame.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
FHA and VA appraisals are in the system for 6 months.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Yes, it is true. The appraisal is tied to the home - makes sense - so you dont have wildly different amounts. Problem is for a seller like this - absent a reasonable variance - they are hosed.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 PM

Yep ... so basically, we informed the seller that unless they're willing to go down in price we'll have to walk because we can't bring an extra 15k to the table.

We also said that there's similar sales in the same development complex (it's a PUD) and the same floorplan that sold this year for 30k less than what the assessment was, so we think the assessment is actually being generous.

It's just damned unfortunate on all sides ... we went in full price thinking that another couple that spent 45 minutes looking at the same property as us and looking VERY happy walking out so we assumed we had to make an aggressive bid to get it ... then the bank hires an assessor that thinks otherwise ... and the seller obviously being just as frustrated as we are.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS negotiate the price unless you're in a white-hot market

Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
It's a shame a willing seller and a willing buyer can't get a loan.

I know, I know....

Old 04-22-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's a shame a willing seller and a willing buyer can't get a loan.

I know, I know....
I reviewed the financing contingency and checked with my RE agent. We'll get our earnest money back if we decide to walk.

I am almost positive the seller won't relent and they'll put it back on the market. Good luck is all I will say if they decide to keep it at the original price, what with an appraisal that's 15k less than the asking price.

They bought the place at the height of the bubble, so they're already losing 100k on it. Why an additional 15k is such a big deal I won't understand. They own another home in a nice area, and its not a short sale, so I know they have money. I think they're just being full of it. Oh well. When it sits around for months and months not selling, they'll maybe figure it out.

Or maybe the loose exhaust pipe leaked carbon monoxide from the hot water tank and corroded their brains ... that was a must fix item on our list which we didn't even need an inspector to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate