Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:52 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times

Advertisements

Some phrases I've seen in ads are definite negatives to me. For example:
"Parklike grounds" = "lots of work"; "looks like a public space"
"Lots of potential" = "not quite livable"
"Nestled in the woods" = "has been taken over by trees"

But what do these say? I'm considering these for my house:
"$20,000 below assessed value"
"turnkey" OR "well-maintained"

Also, our house has 5 bedrooms and an office, but only 2.5 bathrooms, one of which is in the master suite, and one of which is downstairs (walk-out basement). What about advertising it as 4 bedrooms and a bonus? Someone who has enough people to fill up five bedrooms will likely want another bathroom. A smaller family that only needs 3 bedrooms would consider 4 but might pass over an ad for 5 bedrooms.

Yes we have an agent, but she is not good at descriptions; her description was drawing people who were looking for something else entirely. We've changed it to give more information (instead of the WOW-type stuff), make it accurate, and emphasize the actual positives of the house as it is, rather than the agent's dream of what it could be.

I really want to move. It's way too hot here, and it's only May 2!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post

But what do these say? I'm considering these for my house:
"$20,000 below assessed value"
"turnkey" OR "well-maintained"
Is this the assessed value used as the basis for property taxes or did you have an appraisal done? What's the date of this appraisal? Regardless, it lags your local market.

Is this a 2 story or ranch?
Having the second full bath in the basement is your challenge. Have you investigated the feasibility and cost to convert all or a part of one of the bedrooms into another full bath?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
First of all - it's all local. What works here might not work for you. But here's my 2 cents.

I wouldn't bother with $20.000 below assessed value - nobody believes it. If your price is really $20K lower than the market value, it will sell itself immediately and you wouldn't need any descriptions.

I disagree with your assessments of interpreting park-like grounds and nestled in the woods. Many buyers would love that. If someone is looking for no/low maintenance yards, a large yard with lots of trees wouldn't work for them anyway. If the grounds are not park-like and nestled in the trees, don't say it.

Turn-key and well-maintaned are phrases that people love to see. Right now buyers here are not looking to do updates, they want "move-in-ready" with minimal issues/updates needed.

Lots of potential is interpreted as a fixer and should be at a low price compared to other similar properties that are in better condition.

PICTURES, good ones, tell the story the best. Market your property truthfully (if it's 5 bedrooms, 2.5 baths then say so).

Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
PICTURES, good ones, tell the story the best. Market your property truthfully (if it's 5 bedrooms, 2.5 baths then say so).
What is the difference between a bedroom and a bonus room? An office and a bedroom? The rooms all have windows and great big closets, but I'm thinking that maybe if there is not a full bath nearby that bonus is better than bedroom.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
I would rather have a bedroom than a bonus room. The bonus room to me may not have a closet.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I would rather have a bedroom than a bonus room. The bonus room to me may not have a closet.
Not every bedroom has a closet.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Yup!!!!
Pictures worth a thousand words...

Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Yup!!!!
Pictures worth a thousand words...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
"$20,000 below assessed value" says to me, "Something is wrong with it", whether that is fair or not.

Also, I skip over "beautiful park like grounds" because I want a low maintenance yard with nothing but grass. I don't want to have to have a lot of trees and bushes ripped out at my expense. And heaven forbid if you should say it has a koi pond - - that is the last straw for me and I won't even consider it.

"Lots of potential" doesn't turn me off, but I can see that for myself. That's like ads that say "convenient location" - - as if I would be looking at it were the location not appealing to me? Gee.

For some reason, "turnkey" and "well maintained" appeal to me. In fact, when I tried to sell my house last year I used the latter.

I really agree about photos. Even if the house looks terrible, the photos can give a buyer some idea as to what needs to be done. For example, if a low priced house has not been renovated since 1955 and is cluttered with junk, I would be relieved upon seeing the photos and would go to see it, because that could be why the price was low. I really don't understand why some houses are listed with no interior photos.

I love it when I can see everything in the photos. If the photos don't show it, I assume the worst. I find that I am more interested in a house if the ad shows the interior of the shower (even if it isn't brand new) but few ads show the shower in their photos. If I am going to be showering in it every day for years, they should show it IMO.

And also, don't center the photograph on a piece of attractive furniture because the buyer doesn't care about your furniture! The photograph should show some interesting architectural detail, or a window, and so on, but not just an expensive chest of drawers with nothing but a blank wall behind it.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:51 PM

I agree with most of you about photos. Our photos are fine, and now our description is good. ("Good" means it accurately describes the house.)

It looks like "below tax value" would be negative. We're just thinking of adding the "turnkey" or "well-maintained" now.

Any other comments about bedrooms? If you were looking for 3 br, would you bother looking at a 5 br? If you wanted a 5 br, would you walk away from it because someone in an upstairs bedroom would only have a half-bath nearby and would have to shower downstairs? (No, we are not putting in another shower.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate