Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Pretty sure if there's nothing but air to walk on, they don't count.
They should not count, but they may. I'm going to wait for the appraisal to see if he/she includes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 01:31 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
They should not count, but they may. I'm going to wait for the appraisal to see if he/she includes it.
It won't be if it's done right.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:58 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times
Quote:
If he wants to include it, ask him to walk out to the middle and get a better look.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM

Just to give an update/ close off the thread, the appraisal came back and it did include the open space (the total space was "livable"). I haven’t seen the papers yet (but will tomorrow), but that’s what I was told.

Logically, it makes no sense to me, but if the realtor, builder, blueprint, and appraiser all say are including “open area” then at least in PA, it is included when selling and in appraisals.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Just to give an update/ close off the thread, the appraisal came back and it did include the open space (the total space was "livable"). I haven’t seen the papers yet (but will tomorrow), but that’s what I was told.

Logically, it makes no sense to me, but if the realtor, builder, blueprint, and appraiser all say are including “open area†then at least in PA, it is included when selling and in appraisals.
Actually, ignore my last statement. I saw the actual appraisal and it does not the count open area in estimating the value of my potential place. It does, however use MLS defined square footage, which for 2 of the 3 direct comps is greater than the tax square footage (likely open area).

So, what I have learned is that open area can be included on the MLS site in the square footage, because nobody audits/ checks that. The tax records mostly seem to reflect the lowest possible number (obviously), and exclude open area, when the owner actually argues/ complains. My appraiser went by MLS data (higher square footage), and if he used tax data, the price/ square foot increases (price stays constant, while square footage decreases).

Anyway, hope this helps someone with the same question.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:28 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Actually, ignore my last statement. I saw the actual appraisal and it does not the count open area in estimating the value of my potential place. It does, however use MLS defined square footage, which for 2 of the 3 direct comps is greater than the tax square footage (likely open area).

So, what I have learned is that open area can be included on the MLS site in the square footage, because nobody audits/ checks that. The tax records mostly seem to reflect the lowest possible number (obviously), and exclude open area, when the owner actually argues/ complains. My appraiser went by MLS data (higher square footage), and if he used tax data, the price/ square foot increases (price stays constant, while square footage decreases).

Anyway, hope this helps someone with the same question.
You may find that the appraiser actually called the agents or appraisers for those other properties and was satisfied with the square footage explanations.
It is not at all uncommon to get a call from an appraiser regarding a past sale.

Or.... They may have accepted the numbers at face value. Which is one reason an active MLS will enforce measurement rules, to protect the accuracy of the data.
I find the MLS to be more accurate than tax rolls. Of course, it is easy to spot a lazy or inept agent, when you see one who uses the tax rolls measurment in the MLS.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:11 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
With houses, the SF measurement often varies by house ... and realtor/owner. Most MLS listings state that it is the buyer's responsibility to verify all measurements - and frankly, almost any measurement process can be justified ... so, it's a "buyer beware" (and measure) proposition.

Condo's often offer an interesting insight into this reality. In condo's, most of the floor plans are pretty much standard. However, when one examines the listings, there is often a surprising difference in reported SF! Of course, in condos, it's a little harder to justify significant differences in reported SF; nevertheless it happens, as people include things like balconies, separate storage areas and who knows what else.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,673 times
The most accurate will be the architect's calculation. (as long as structure was built to plan) 2-story rooms are not doubled. Some architects measure from exterior of brick, some from exterior of frame wall. First and 2nd floors are calculated separately and noted on plan as Total Air Conditioned Sq. Ft.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
If you ask 10 different "professionals" (builders, realtors, appraisors, and the like) to measure a house and tell you the square footage, you will get 10 different answers, and they may vary a fair amount. Our MLS has a section where you have to state whether the listed sqft came from "tax records, agent measured, building plans, or appraisal".

I can tell you that on building plans, you do not include 2nd story open space a 2nd time.

But once the house is finished, it becomes more vague as to what gets counted. In my opinion, the right way is to measure the perimeter, and subtract the garage. If it is a two story that isn't just a box where the upstairs is the same footprint as the downstairs, it becomes much more complicated. In many cases, the perimeter gets measured for the main floor and then individual rooms upstairs get added to the total, since measuring the perimeter of an oddly shaped upstairs is problematical.

Personally, I think we should start using the standard of listing cubic feet, and measuring it by dunking the house in a tank of water and measuring the displacement in order to ensure accuracy. /end physics humor

Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,290,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

Personally, I think we should start using the standard of listing cubic feet, and measuring it by dunking the house in a tank of water and measuring the displacement in order to ensure accuracy. /end physics humor
Good idea! We could check for leaks at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate