Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM

115 posts, read 364,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No 2 HOAs are alike.

For the life of me I don't know how it is that people who do not want to play by the rules end up in HOA communities with rules or in incorporated areas, for that matter.

A super majority of owners can trump a board and make rules more or less restrictive.

I am the Treasurer in my self-managed HOA and the go to person for buyers considering purchasing property. Not a single one has asked for a copy of the governing docs, rules, financial statement or budget. Lucky for them, that we only have one rule- no fences.

Fences are my main problem.. I don't want anyone or anything wondering into or out of my yard. I don't get the problem with fences. It's like "I demand to know everything you're doing, how dare you put up that fence!!!". What about people with pets?? They can't just let their dog out into the yard because there is nothing to fence them in and keep them from straying away. I don't think it's that people don't like "Playing by the rules". It's that they've found their perfect dream home and thought "I can deal with an HOA, I love this house". But then the HOA starts restricting them and cutting into their personal space. IDK, I've never had one, but I've been reading a ton of horror stories online. I expect you to be biased since you are on an HOA board. But I do respect your opinion from the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Once I move out of my current place I will never live in a place with a HOA again. My HOA has been more trouble than help. I think it should be up to me if I want to park a car and a motorcycle in my driveway or if I want to have three dogs in my house or if I want to put a satellite dish on my fire escape. It is nice to have the HOA take care of the snow in the winter, etc., but I would gladly give it up to not have to deal with the other crap. So, if you're not already in an HOA don't join one. If you are considering moving into a place with an HOA do your homework first to find out what their rules are.
I read something online yesterday that a guy wanted to put up a satellite dish so he did. The HOA was pretty upset. They told him to take it down but they didn't have any rules against it so he didn't. Afterwards they start hitting him with charge after charge for every single thing that others got away with. He then took them to court but they won and then slapped him with their 50k lawyer fees. He couldn't afford to live, make the HOA payments, and the payments on what he owed so they put a lien on his house. He ended up losing the house.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
I don't think it's that people don't like "Playing by the rules". It's that they've found their perfect dream home and thought "I can deal with an HOA, I love this house". But then the HOA starts restricting them and cutting into their personal space.
If that rule was in place before they bought then it is absolutely "not wanting to play by the rules".

Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If that rule was in place before they bought then it is absolutely "not wanting to play by the rules".
But I've read that HOAs have the power to install new rules. If I put a pink flamingo on my lawn. The HOA can vote that they no longer approve of Pink Flmaingos. If I throw my child a bday party. The HOA can then vote that no parties can be thrown at your private residence. My grandmother's HOA just passed a rule yesterday that the homeowners have to tell them and get approval to let someone stay in their home for more than a week. That's when it starts infringing on your personal life.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:03 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
HOAs are only as good as the active participants in it. Some have good people that enforce the rules while still allowing for reasonable case-by-case judgements and common sense. Others have irritating busybodies that have nothing better to do with their lives.

If considering a neighborhood with a HOA, obtain and review a copy of their CC&Rs before making an offer on the house. Also, consider talking to some of the existing residents in the neighborhood to get their opinion on the HOA.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
But I've read that HOAs have the power to install new rules. If I put a pink flamingo on my lawn. The HOA can vote that they no longer approve of Pink Flmaingos. If I throw my child a bday party. The HOA can then vote that no parties can be thrown at your private residence. My grandmother's HOA just passed a rule yesterday that the homeowners have to tell them and get approval to let someone stay in their home for more than a week. That's when it starts infringing on your personal life.
This is true. But your town can do the same thing. There is definitely some "risk" in living in an HOA community that things will go horriblly wrong. But for some that risk is worth taking.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is true. But your town can do the same thing. There is definitely some "risk" in living in an HOA community that things will go horriblly wrong. But for some that risk is worth taking.

Yes, you're right.. I'm going to do as Gravityman and others have suggested and research them individually. All of the homes I really like seem to have HOAs. Where I live now non of the my neighbors know each other past hi and bye. Maybe I'm lacking the since of community. My neighbor has a pink and purple house. I like it. It shows her individualism. The plus side that I see is making sure the lawn is kept up. I have to agree and disagree with another poster on here about cars being parked. Certain cars should be parked inside the garage, However, if there are visitors they should be able to park in the driveway.Pet restrictions can be a good and a bad thing. I could never agree on the lack of fencing, but idk. There's somethings I'm going to like and some I may have to change to get the home I like. Hey, maybe I'll even run for an HOA office to ensure my and others in the community voices are heard. I believe that rules should be made based on everyone in the community's vote

Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
The trick is, if you're buying in an HOA, and you have read the CCR's, etc., and you agree with them, you still need to remember that they can change and the qualify of the HOA can change based on who is on the Board and be prepared to keep an eagle eye out and stay involved lest the things you agreed to change out from under you.

Someone on C-D some time back told about an HOA that they bought into that was about 50 years old and had been great during all that time (I believe they bought from a friend). Shortly after they purchased their home and moved in, the original owners of the other houses either died or moved to assisted living or other such things, and the new people who bought the homes pretty much took over and ruined what had been a very reasonable HOA.

So in purchasing a home in an HOA, it's not all over when you make the purchase. It's something you'll need to stay involved with on a regular basis if you want things to stay the way they are.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, you're right.. I'm going to do as Gravityman and others have suggested and research them individually. All of the homes I really like seem to have HOAs. Where I live now non of the my neighbors know each other past hi and bye. Maybe I'm lacking the since of community. My neighbor has a pink and purple house. I like it. It shows her individualism. The plus side that I see is making sure the lawn is kept up. I have to agree and disagree with another poster on here about cars being parked. Certain cars should be parked inside the garage, However, if there are visitors they should be able to park in the driveway.Pet restrictions can be a good and a bad thing. I could never agree on the lack of fencing, but idk. There's somethings I'm going to like and some I may have to change to get the home I like. Hey, maybe I'll even run for an HOA office to ensure my and others in the community voices are heard. I believe that rules should be made based on everyone in the community's vote
I wouldn't equate an HOA with a "sense of community". That is really up to the people no matter where they live.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:34 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
I believe that rules should be made based on everyone in the community's vote
Devion

They can be changed. It will generally take 75% or more to agree to the changes as it should because they were there when people bought in and it should take a large majority to prevent the minority from changing them.

They can also be changed to stop things that were allowed before but usually those that properly did so before, are grandfathered in.

Also undertand that generally CC&R's and/or Bylaws cannot override/usurp laws but they can "toughen" them. Like local zoning might say no fences over 8 feet tall but an HOA can limit them to less then 8ft like saying no fence over 6ft tall.

Tough love here but you seem to profess knowledge/opinions about HOA's when you have never lived in/under one. Am I correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate