Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,649 times

Advertisements

We had a showing of the house two days in a row... its an odd pulling
feeling of remorse & excitement. A sense of being intruded upon while an
appreciation for what you have has swollen before your eyes and we feel
like we will lose something if we sell.

Is this a normal feeling... or is this a sign to take heed of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Were you on the fence about selling in the first place? Is this a move you would rather not make?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
I think the reason someone sells probably dictates this. Someone selling to move in to a bigger house in a nicer neighborhood probably has less chance of "seller's remorse" than someone doing a short sale because they can't afford their mortgage payments.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
I haven't even sold yet and I have it! I am going from a beautifully remodeled custom-to-me design in a city I love to a smaller, builder-grade house in a city I don't love. The driving force is my grandkids - I want to be near them before we both get too old.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,649 times
Default my seller's remorse

My seller's remorse is likely due to the fact that we upgraded the home so nicely.
(We have no need whatsoever to make this a short sale, and there is no urgency,)
and we even have the option to completely take it off the market if we seized up
with cold feet.
There was not much activity when it was put on the market a month ago. Dead slow.
The Realtor said "there was the local Prom, graduations, Mother's Day, Memorial Day,
Father's Day"...and all of a sudden ... WHooshhhh! the lookers have been constant.
After putting a 4 year old in the car seat, and two panting sniveling dogs, and circling
town for the umpteenth time we'd return up our little lane with shade trees and horse
fence, under the tunnel of the crabapples into our driveway, and wow! it is has the
curb appeal that even impresses us.. maybe moreso.
The reason we want to sell is the privacy it gives us (which is so dreamy) also means
it is far from specific places we'd like to be, and people we'd like to be nearer to.
Trade off *... That won't be the case for the right buyer.
There is the right house for the right buyer..as it was right for us for many years.
The trade off.. is THE UNKNOWN.. and I guess the remorse is as if we are already
looking over our shoulder at what we would be giving up versus what we'd have to
do in order to get this slice of heaven again. That's not to say we will not find the
next adventure to be just as tantalizing...right! I think I have to keep an open mind
and recognize it may be out there, or we may have to invent it.. The sky is not falling.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
I have never had such but my daughter is in tears as the closing on her home sale gets close. Like I brought my babies home to here, the good times we had, yada, yada.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,049 times
I had my home on the market for four months about a year and a half ago, but it didn't sell right away and I took it off the market because my plans changed.

Anyway...

I didn't exactly feel seller's remorse, but I was absolutely floored and almost offended when I found out that every single buyer didn't absolutely fall in love with my home like I did. I know, I know, every seller thinks their home is special. But I really think mine IS! LOL I was surprised at how strong my emotions were when people just walked through it and weren't interested. It's so hard to imagine that someone wouldn't knock themselves out trying to buy my lovely home. Other people just have different needs and wants.

I'm sure you will be able to find a house that you like but that is closer to the places and people you'd like to be near to. It's an adventure that can have a wonderful ending for you, but it is one that can be full of mixed emotions, as you have seen.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 PM

116 posts, read 272,918 times
Yes, sellers remorse is real to me to. We had our house on sale all last year, had three lookers. Took it off for the winter and put it on the market around Easter. We had an offer 8 days later and were out of the house before memorial day. Wham bam thank you mam, no timt to even think about what you were doing and why.

There is a sinking feeling when you have to pack all your stuff up with no place to move into right away. Definitely was sellers remorse. As I was leaving the place, I kept telling myself that this was not so bad after all- I did not like the house because it was to big and too isolated from things to new things to do, but I did like the area in the summer, just hated it in the winter months. Since moving out, have moved to South Carolina, bought a house and moved in today. Sure hope it works out because I have had nothing but sellers and movers remorse for the past 4 Weeks. It's driving me and my wife nuts. Hopefully, now that I have all the unpacking to do and settling in and discovering new things to do, now that I have my stuff again, my mind will straighten out and the remorse will be behind me! I am looking forward to great life in new location and if it doesn't work out, well I will go some place else!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,513,756 times
If this is any comfort, sometimes you end up not missing some things as badly as you thought you might if you have new adventures to experience in your new digs.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,989,806 times
Never. Fear and dread of the actual moving part, but quite happy to sell and always looking forward to the new home.

It's just the moving part I can't stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate