Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,191,923 times

Advertisements

We brought A LOT to close after putting in about $60k to upgrade our former house. It sucks, but if you really want to sell, you have to do it. I've sent you a DM because I think I found your house on MLS and wanted to offer my feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 PM

399 posts, read 806,503 times
You have to look on the BRIGHT side with housing. When you're selling, it hurts to get less than you want.

But when your the buyer, just look at what you can get for the money. It will all work out in the end and the $$$ will come back to you.

I took it in the fanny when I sold my house. But I'm already in very good shape with my new house and very happy.

The towhome I paid ~236k for in a ultra prime location in Raleigh would have cost me 275-280k if the economy was perfect and booming.

Real estate will pick back up and if you buy now at rock bottom prices with rates under 4%, you'll be sitting pretty in 5 years time.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,810,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
You have to look on the BRIGHT side with housing. When you're selling, it hurts to get less than you want.

But when your the buyer, just look at what you can get for the money. It will all work out in the end and the $$$ will come back to you.

I took it in the fanny when I sold my house. But I'm already in very good shape with my new house and very happy.

The towhome I paid ~236k for in a ultra prime location in Raleigh would have cost me 275-280k if the economy was perfect and booming.

Real estate will pick back up and if you buy now at rock bottom prices with rates under 4%, you'll be sitting pretty in 5 years time.
That's true. I always say that - if you are buying and selling, it doesn't really matter where the market is. You will do well on one of the ends.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:37 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,810,424 times
I just looked at your house online, and it looks very nice to me, overall! And it's in a good school pyramid for Durham, I believe - Jordan HS. Based on just the pictures, here is my honest guess as to why people might not be choosing your house:

1. Carpeting in the dining room - most people don't like this and it makes it dated
2. Carpeting in living room downstairs - ditto
3. Kitchen is beautiful but appears to be on the small side. Many buyers today want big working kitchens
4. Looks like a closed concept - people seem to want a more open floor plan
5. Master bedroom on first floor is not a popular floor plan up north. If many buyers are coming from up north, they might not want that
6. What is that large dirt area in the center of your backyard?
7. Need new springtime pictures with flowers. The backyard pictures have bare/winter trees
8. I dislike your Realtor's lead-in line. "HOA dues pd..." So the first thing I see and think about when I see your house online is that there are HOA dues! That line should be later in the blurb or perhaps just emphasize that HOA dues are low (if they are).
9. Along those same lines, I dislike how she said, "Add screen porch over deck." Buyers do not want to think about what they need to do to enjoy this house. She should just emphasize that there is a huge deck to enjoy the large backyard. Why mention a screened porch at all?

Overall, I think it's a very pretty house. And I say my suggestions in kindness. I just moved here from a 1950's ranch house, so I am not putting your house down at all - just saying what I think potential buyers might be thinking.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,077,988 times
When you list your house with a realtor, you need to lay out your terms and expectations of what they will do to market your house. You need to let them know that you expect to see the MLS listing completely filled out (the realtor version of it, not just the "public" version that shows up on realtor.com). You need to insist on LOTS of photos being put online.

If they have a modern lock box system, every time another realtor shows the house, an electronic record should show up on file. It is your realtor's job to contact ANY other realtor who shows the house and get feedback on the showing. Generally speaking, realtors will be BRUTALLY honest with each other about how a showing went. So, each week, your realtor should recap the showings, the feedback, and what he/she is doing to market your house - the MLS, photos, open houses, other websites, newspapers, signage, etc. This should be a weekly call or meeting.

If your realtor is marketing the house online with photos, advertising in local papers and publications, hosting open houses (though sometimes open houses are not a great idea - go with their professional advice on that), etc - which is at their own expense by the way, whether they sell your house or not - then they are definitely doing THEIR job and it has less to do with marketing and more to do with the condition, location, or price of the property.

And price fixes every other condition, by the way!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 PM

399 posts, read 806,503 times
Having a 275-280k price range home where most of the houses selling under 200k is not good. The 200-225k and under segment is the hottest in the housing industry.

There's a huge drop off when you go over 250 and 275. Especially in a zone where most of the sales are under 200k (if that's the case from what others have said)

Not agent can save you on that one. You can't be over-priced for your market area and do too many upgrades you won't get back. And most people want NICE finishes for 275-280k.

Sorry, but I'm walking out of your house and never coming back with dated carpet. Having a lovely updated kitchen makes everything else look old.

All buyers see is $$$ signs to fix stuff and get it updated with the rest of the house.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:09 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,743,585 times
If you want your house to sell, simply lower your price to market value, not your value. For starters, take the most your house was ever valued, and subtract 40%. Realtors are drones simply showing what pops up on screens. Finding market value sells homes. Good luck.

Lln

Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,435,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I just looked at your house online, and it looks very nice to me, overall! And it's in a good school pyramid for Durham, I believe - Jordan HS. Based on just the pictures, here is my honest guess as to why people might not be choosing your house:

1. Carpeting in the dining room - most people don't like this and it makes it dated
3. Kitchen is beautiful but appears to be on the small side. Many buyers today want big working kitchens
5. Master bedroom on first floor is not a popular floor plan up north. If many buyers are coming from up north, they might not want that
7. Need new springtime pictures with flowers. The backyard pictures have bare/winter trees
8. I dislike your Realtor's lead-in line. "HOA dues pd..." So the first thing I see and think about when I see your house online is that there are HOA dues! That line should be later in the blurb or perhaps just emphasize that HOA dues are low (if they are).
9. Along those same lines, I dislike how she said, "Add screen porch over deck." Buyers do not want to think about what they need to do to enjoy this house. She should just emphasize that there is a huge deck to enjoy the large backyard. Why mention a screened porch at all?

Overall, I think it's a very pretty house. And I say my suggestions in kindness. I just moved here from a 1950's ranch house, so I am not putting your house down at all - just saying what I think potential buyers might be thinking.
I agree with michcg. I also saw your listing on MLS and felt exactly the same way.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM

423 posts, read 1,095,669 times
It's definitely price. Go to zillow and check out what others sold for in your neighborhood. I have no problem with your kitchen cabinets but vinyl floors and no attempts to landscape the backyard would make me turn right around and leave. I also don't feel much warmth in the pics. I don't know if it's paint or furniture selection. A realtor who knows a stager would tell you what others like to see/feel in a home.

Last edited by mocharoman; 07-26-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,243,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post

I just viewed the home online as well. First of all let me start by saying the updates are beautiful!

This is what I'd do to help get it sold.

1) Trim back the larger branches located on the trees in the front yard.

2) Get rid of the outdated carpeting in the dining rooms, family room, and the stairs. Replace with hardwood floors.

3) STAGING you home is important and most of the furniture is old and VERY outdated. The couches, recliners, and dining room set, etc. are ageing your house.

4) Outdated window treatments are a no-no. Those out-dated valances need to be replaced with curtains only (no valances) which reach the floor of the room. Leave the curtains open to allow light during the open house. Also----are there not blinds on the lower level? Potential buyers don't want the expense of having to install blinds for most of the home.

5) The backyard needs some serious tlc. It lacks landscaping. Plant some tall bushes along the fence. Rake up all of the leaves, get rid of weeds. Why is there two different types of grass back there? It should be uniform.

That's my 2 cents. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate