Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM

15 posts, read 47,152 times

Advertisements

I may be totally off base here, but when I call to get a showing of a house (not info on attending an open house), shouldn't that time slot be reserved just for us?

I found a gorgeous house online that had just had its price dropped into our price range, so I called up the listing agent to schedule a viewing for my husband and I. When we walked in and started touring, we were stunned to see another group of people also examining the property (it may have even been two groups; there were about 5 or 6 additional people there).

My first thought was that maybe there was a miscommunication, and that two agents were accidentally showing the home at the same time. But then the listing agent proceeded to divide his time between us and all the other people. Whenever we had a question, we would have to hunt him down and/or wait until he was done answering a question from someone else. It eventually got to the point where everyone was trying to look at the same rooms at the same time, and my husband and I ended up feeling rushed to get out of the way/get our turn in to view.

This has never happened at any other house showing we've been to, except an open house, where I expected it. So I was wondering if this was normal for some agents? I'd always thought that a "private" showing was just that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:37 AM

126 posts, read 423,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYHunter View Post
I may be totally off base here, but when I call to get a showing of a house (not info on attending an open house), shouldn't that time slot be reserved just for us?

I found a gorgeous house online that had just had its price dropped into our price range, so I called up the listing agent to schedule a viewing for my husband and I. When we walked in and started touring, we were stunned to see another group of people also examining the property (it may have even been two groups; there were about 5 or 6 additional people there).

My first thought was that maybe there was a miscommunication, and that two agents were accidentally showing the home at the same time. But then the listing agent proceeded to divide his time between us and all the other people. Whenever we had a question, we would have to hunt him down and/or wait until he was done answering a question from someone else. It eventually got to the point where everyone was trying to look at the same rooms at the same time, and my husband and I ended up feeling rushed to get out of the way/get our turn in to view.

This has never happened at any other house showing we've been to, except an open house, where I expected it. So I was wondering if this was normal for some agents? I'd always thought that a "private" showing was just that.

Thanks!

You contacted the listing agent. That agent has no obligation to anyone other than the person for which they're selling the house. They seem to have wanted you to know that the house was being viewed by other parties, most likely to get an offer very close, if not at asking price in fear that you may lose the house to another party.

Get your own agent and go see homes. They're there to help you and serve your interests!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 AM

15 posts, read 47,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
You contacted the listing agent. That agent has no obligation to anyone other than the person for which they're selling the house. They seem to have wanted you to know that the house was being viewed by other parties, most likely to get an offer very close, if not at asking price in fear that you may lose the house to another party.
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
Get your own agent and go see homes. They're there to help you and serve your interests!
We actually did, and he's been great! He hasn't always know specific information about a property like a listing agent would, but has always been quick about finding out and getting it back to us. I much prefer having someone focused just on us.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:42 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,917 times
When we sold our place, I fielded the calls to schedule showings because I have a baby. My realtor said just to schedule whomever for whenever. Double booking didn't matter because she said many agents don't show, show up late, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate