Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:06 PM

137 posts, read 266,979 times

Advertisements

Hi all, obviously this question may get answered by a lawyer, but I'm curious as to if there is anything there.

I'm 24 and made an offer on my first home. It was a short-sale and I got a counter offer 3 days later. I counter offered again, and the counter has been accepted (3 months later). Here's where things get hairy.

I showed my Dad the contract, and he asked where the counter-offer was. I was told it was all verbally done, my father buys lots of commercial real estate, so he knows the process pretty well, he said that's unusual, but that there must be something in writing, especially since it was a short-sale. It's especially unusual to him that the first offer was countered 3 days later, then the next took months to accept.

So I ask the real estate agent, and he finally relents that he just told me that was the counter because the other agent told him to say that - My offer was never submitted for consideration!! My agent is new to the game, so he might not have known better.

At any rate, I haven't waived my conditions yet. What should I do? If this was misrepresented can I sue my agent? At the very least, if he lied to me and didn't represent my interests, is that against a code of ethics? I want him to lose his job if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
If you want the house, get a contract and terms signed by both you and the seller.

You may need to call the agents managing broker and ask these questions. Then, do what you need to do to buy the house.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Is the contract signed by the seller?

Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Assuming your agent works for a broker, contact the broker and tell him/her your story. Make it clear that you are not happy and you expect them to make things right.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post

So I ask the real estate agent, and he finally relents that he just told me that was the counter because the other agent told him to say that - My offer was never submitted for consideration!! My agent is new to the game, so he might not have known better...
This sounds very strange. I can't imagine a buyers agent telling his client that there is a counter offer, and the sellers agent told him to say that. And I can't imagine for what reason a sellers agent would tell a buyers agent to say something like that. It would be more reasonable for the buyers agent to say the contract was not accepted and let's go look for more houses.

Quote:
At any rate, I haven't waived my conditions yet. What should I do? If this was misrepresented can I sue my agent? At the very least, if he lied to me and didn't represent my interests, is that against a code of ethics? I want him to lose his job if nothing else.
What are you going to sue him for? What money damages have you suffered?

The seller apparently did not accept your offer.

If the agent gave you false information then that should be reported to his broker. However, I don't see any cause of action. And I suggest that you have all of your email correspondence to show the broker to prove this allegation.

If this happened in exactly the way you say it did, then the brokers of both agents should be notified because they were not "honest", which is a fiduciary duty.

I'm not saying this didn't happen, but the way you explained it really does not make sense.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Let me offer more details.

So I put in an offer on a short property listed at $119k, I lowballed $95k. Three days later I get the call that they've countered at $113k. I counter at $105k and that's really all I'm willing to go on this property. When I signed the "counter-offer." I was a whole new offer. Not done the way I'm told is typical, which is crossing out figures on the original offer. My $105k offer get accepted.

What happened was my agent told the other agent what my offer was. The other agent told mine that I need to offer more, and to tell me that the bank countered on the house. I'm assuming that this is to squeeze out a few more commission dollars. The thing is the bank never saw nor considered my $95k offer, which may have been low, but the house next door is the same development, it's a little bigger and went for $99k in a short sale a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
This sounds very strange. I can't imagine a buyers agent telling his client that there is a counter offer, and the sellers agent told him to say that. And I can't imagine for what reason a sellers agent would tell a buyers agent to say something like that. It would be more reasonable for the buyers agent to say the contract was not accepted and let's go look for more houses.
I'm my agent's first client. He's new to the industry, maybe is getting bad advice from people who don't have his interested.

Quote:
If I overpaid based on my agent misrepresenting the status of my initial offer, I've potentially lost $10k

Quote:
They accepted at $105k. This is a short sale.

Quote:
If the agent gave you false information then that should be reported to his broker. However, I don't see any cause of action. And I suggest that you have all of your email correspondence to show the broker to prove this allegation.
That's the thing, he won't ever write down what he told me about the counter offer. I have started recording my cell phone calls though. Should the fact that he has nothing in writing about their "counter-offer" be enough to prove my allegation? In my opinion (and in most civil trials) the onus of proof is on the defense, in this case my agent who was not representing me well.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-in-NEO View Post

I'm my agent's first client. He's new to the industry, maybe is getting bad advice from people who don't have his interested.

You are using an agent for a SHORT SALE that has NEVER had a client before? I'm trying to think of a worse decision, but none come to mind.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
SS is $119K

You offer $95K

You received counter of $113K. Who countered? Seller or Bank?

You offer $105K

Accepted at $105K

Who accepted? Seller or Bank?

FWIW - every SS has a different set of circumstances, so trying to use a sold SS as a comp, is a little difficult.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

If this happened in exactly the way you say it did, then the brokers of both agents should be notified because they were not "honest", which is a fiduciary duty.

I'm not saying this didn't happen, but the way you explained it really does not make sense.
Shocking! Bill calling another buyer an idiot and blindly supporting another realtor who clearly did a poor job for his client but still expects to get paid.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You are using an agent for a SHORT SALE that has NEVER had a client before? I'm trying to think of a worse decision, but none come to mind.
Not a mistake I'll make twice. I regret it terribly, I've already told him that if this falls through that I'm done working with him. He's a disaster to work with.

If I can make myself sound even dumber... He also has a full-time job. Yep, I made a mistake and I know it. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate