Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoak View Post
I would never let my client accept an offer without a pre-approval or proof of funds. If you bought these three properties through an agent shame on them. If it was via FSBO's then they didnt protect their own interest by not asking for either.
I am a high income earner. They pretty much take my word for it. Brought homes in 2005, 2009 (height of credit freeze) and just closed on home last Friday.

Financing isn't issue with me. Actually annoyed I didn't close within 3 weeks with current home I just purchased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
They didn't even ask for proof of funds? Very foolish. Lots of people can (and do) SAY they are high income earners. Some are, some are running a scam.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:44 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
They didn't even ask for proof of funds? Very foolish. Lots of people can (and do) SAY they are high income earners. Some are, some are running a scam.
Like I said, I've never been asked for proof of income or even pre-approval letter. First 2 homes I've purchased, used a real estate agent. Seller agent never asked. These were for 500-600K homes I purchased.

Latest home, I did not use an agent. It was a FSBO transaction. Homeowner didn't ask for proof either.

Before I closed on this home I had looked at several homes with an agent that was selling our current home at the time, put an offer on a property. But they didn't ask for proof either. This latest offer I made with my agent was just last month (July 2012). Home was listed 880K. Offered them 800K as my final offer with 373K down but they turned it down. No one ever questions me.

Of course there are scammers out there. It's pretty easy to google people and see who they are. The people I sold my home too. I didn't need proof of income. I knew they were putting down 20% downpayment. If someone is putting $100-200K down on a home or 20% of whatever amount, it's a pretty good sign they can afford the home. I'd be concerned if they were putting less than 10% down on their finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate