Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM

115 posts, read 364,012 times

Advertisements

Background:
I've been contemplating staying in Cali after originally wanting to move. As everyone may know California home prices are extremely high and I didn't want to spend a large amount of money on an older house with a small yard.
Well, I actually found a place in the SF Bay Area where I can get a semi-custom built home for a little more than what I would be paying if I bought a home that was already built.

The Problem:
In the area that I wish to stay in for safety, peace, and good weather the rent is $3000/mo for my apartment. I already downgraded and I can downgrade to a 2bdroom (family of 4) but I'd still be looking at about $2600/mo. This is normal for really good neighborhoods in the SF Bay Area, also, it's normal for the city where I'm looking to build my home. The problem is $2600-$3000/mo adds up and I hear people say that the builder's timeline is never accurate?

The Question:
How long did it really take to build your/friend/family members' house?
What problems did they run into?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I started to answer this but it sounds like you need someone in the Bay area ? Here it averages about 5-7 months and can take 12-15 for a true custom home.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:23 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
How long did it really take to build your/friend/family members' house?
Every project is different even without problems.
Do you include the time needed to clear the site and install the mechanical's too?
How about the design and approval process?

Is it within a development as part of several (or several hundred) others?
Or is a a truly one off custom build? How big? How complicated?

In any case it would be real hard to put it all together in less than 3 months.
A year would need a few good reasons but that's not totally out of range.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Every project is different even without problems.
Do you include the time needed to clear the site and install the mechanical's too?
How about the design and approval process?

Is it within a development as part of several (or several hundred) others?
Or is a a truly one off custom build? How big? How complicated?

In any case it would be real hard to put it all together in less than 3 months.
A year would need a few good reasons but that's not totally out of range.
It is in a pre-planned development so it is semi-custom...pretty much i can pick the counters or to change a den into a bedroom.
Toll Brothers - Norris Canyon Estates

It doesn't look complicated to me at all...but then again, I've never even built a lego set. (my parents couldn't afford a lego set either)
The builder has a great reputation here. But from what I've seen online the reputation isn't so great on the east coast, but I don't think it will effect me.

The neighborhood is new so the homes is a lot cheaper than other homes in the neighborhood the same size. I have been told to be wary of upgrades though.
I'm still undecided about which house but I like the bottom two.

Oh, so the site is cleared and all of the designs are pre-approved. They just have to start building.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:50 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
In general. Toll bros usually takes 6-9 months for single family homes.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Just wanted to add. My sisters and brothers have purchased 5 homes from toll and that's been their time frame

Hate to say this. But just suck it up on the $2600-3000 rent per month. Everything adds up in life. The next thing you want to do is move out of apartment and close same day on new home and not pay extra rent.

In a perfect world that would happen also but its not a perfect world.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
There are simply too many variables for you to get any type of reliable estimate online for how long it will actually take to build your house. Even people who have used the same contractor before, are not an assurance that you will have the same experience (good or bad).

These days, residential builders are hardly overwhelmed with new projects. How critical is your schedule? Ask the contractor for a guaranteed completion date ... with a non-performance penalty. If they say 'no' to both, then it would seem that even the contractor has no confidence in his own schedule projections ... and you have your answer.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
In general. Toll bros usually takes 6-9 months for single family homes.
so if I stay in my apartment I'm looking at spending another $18,000 to $27,000.

Thanks for the info though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Just wanted to add. My sisters and brothers have purchased 5 homes from toll and that's been their time frame

Hate to say this. But just suck it up on the $2600-3000 rent per month. Everything adds up in life. The next thing you want to do is move out of apartment and close same day on new home and not pay extra rent.

In a perfect world that would happen also but its not a perfect world.
That's good to know. I'm guessing they had to have been happy with the construction if they recommended it to each other.

I would love to not pay the extra money, but you're right, there's no other way to get around it so I must suck it up.

(by sucking it up it I mean complain and cry about it while handing them the check)

Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There are simply too many variables for you to get any type of reliable estimate online for how long it will actually take to build your house. Even people who have used the same contractor before, are not an assurance that you will have the same experience (good or bad).

These days, residential builders are hardly overwhelmed with new projects. How critical is your schedule? Ask the contractor for a guaranteed completion date ... with a non-performance penalty. If they say 'no' to both, then it would seem that even the contractor has no confidence in his own schedule projections ... and you have your answer.
Thanks, I haven't thought of that, apparently neither has my realtor.

She just showed me the neighborhood this week, but have never worked with anyone buying a home that has yet to be built.

Until seeing the floor plans I wasn't interested in buying a newly built house. Houses that have been lived in before seems a lot more homey to me. So I am unfamiliar with the whole process.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:40 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevionisDream View Post
Thanks, I haven't thought of that, apparently neither has my realtor.

She just showed me the neighborhood this week, but have never worked with anyone buying a home that has yet to be built.

Until seeing the floor plans I wasn't interested in buying a newly built house. Houses that have been lived in before seems a lot more homey to me. So I am unfamiliar with the whole process.
Good luck! -- In terms of getting the particular house you want, there are a lot of advantages to being able to 'write your own specs' in terms of carpet, tile, trim, appliances, eliminating/moving walls, special insulation, etc -- But, there are also some disadvantages (eg; contractor problems, non-spec building problems, delays, permits, buried debris, etc.). In most cases, you will have to stay on top of the work ... which can be stressful, particularly if you have no real experience in dealing with building contractors and new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate