Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,410,152 times

Advertisements

I was interested in this segment because we were just talking on another thread about whether updates and renovations can increase appraisal value. I took some notes and will post them as soon as I can get them typed up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,410,152 times
Here are my bullet points from the episode:

The house was in Hackettstown, NJ.

Couple paid $325K 6 years ago; now asking $225; 6 mos. on market; no offers

Appraisal came in at $190K -- $35K less than their asking price!

They said "under-appraisals" are one of biggest problems in market today; even if buyer and seller agree on price, many sales fall through because the bank won't approve the mortgage at that amount.

So the sellers got advice from a professional appraiser on how to get a higher appraised value.

#1 - Overgrown yard indicated deferred maintenance; landscaping was cut back

#2 - "First sight" is critical -- you want a clean, uncluttered house; pack away personal touches

#3 - Update "small subliminals" such as an old style of faucet, a big outdated TV, a rug on top of a carpet (could be hiding something); move out oversized furniture

The couple spent $1600 on updates. They then had a new appraisal -- guy with 26 years' experience.

He said appraising is "part art, part science". He did ask the Seller to list the improvements they had made, but he said "cost does not equal value", so the Seller cannot expect to be reimbursed for the entire amount of their upgrades.

The new appraisal came in at $214K.

They did not say whether the house has sold yet.

All in all, it really wasn't anything that we didn't already know in terms of staging your house for sale....

Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

...appraising is "part art, part science".

I agree.
While appraisers have protocols and procedures, there is ALWAYS some level of subjective involvement, and neither Buyer nor Seller get to choose the appraiser.

I tell my Sellers that they have to sell the home multiple times.
To the Buyer
To the Home Inspector
To the Appraiser
And probably to the Buyer again, after the other two are done
So, they always need to present the home in the best possible condition to all of those parties.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
I'd say it was mostly a BS show.

Bank appraisers don't care about staging.

They care about the nuts and bolts and the useful life of said nuts and bolts and whether mechanicals are working or not.

They also care about sold comps.

They also care about REO's, in foreclosure status and short sales in your neighborhood.

It should have been a show about readying your house for sale.

I saw a house recently, built 1976 - immaculate, truly updated and ready to sell. Looked like a 2012 model home. Priced at market, sold in 5 days of listing at listed price. This particular county where the home is located is a little slower to sell than surrounding counties where average DOM is 77.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
Don't watch real estate shows on TV.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Totally true!

If there is one thing that is down right despicable is the tendancy of these TV show producers to s-t-r-e-t-c-h FACTS to the point where they'd be charged with malpractice in any sort of professional capacity.

No sane lender would accept a second appraisal that is 12.6% higher than the first appraisal unless there was a change in the comps. The sad fact is that second appraisal is STILL a pretty hefty $11,000 LESS than asking price. Depending on local market conditions that means offers that might come from potential buyers that are not discounting close to 5% from asking price are likely to STILL get slammed by the lender. So the hapless seller has spent $1600 out of pocket on "improvements" that are nowhere close to getting them out from under their HUGE $100,000 (give or take , no mention of downpayment...) upside downness!!!

If I were a listing agent and told an underwater borrower to sink more money into their property I might have to defend my self against a lawsuit.

Seriously.

Now you'd need to have a screw or two not just loose but absolutley MISSING from ol' melon to let your landscaping go all over grown / weedy and have loads of crappy old furniture / TV from the "time before plasma" unless you really want lowballin' bottom feeders to submit ridiculous offers ... Cleaning is FREE people. Do it. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I'd say it was mostly a BS show.

Bank appraisers don't care about staging.

They care about the nuts and bolts and the useful life of said nuts and bolts and whether mechanicals are working or not.

They also care about sold comps.

They also care about REO's, in foreclosure status and short sales in your neighborhood.

It should have been a show about readying your house for sale.

I saw a house recently, built 1976 - immaculate, truly updated and ready to sell. Looked like a 2012 model home. Priced at market, sold in 5 days of listing at listed price. This particular county where the home is located is a little slower to sell than surrounding counties where average DOM is 77.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
well... don't take them seriously if you do.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,348,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post

should I watch RE shows on my IPAD then?

I'm not an appraiser, nor have a huge detailed knowledge of appraisal theory.

here is what I see happening
same comps, but differnt condition adjustment.
or different comps.

saying that appraisals don't look at staging etc, is all well and good, however, they adjust for condition. condition and condition is subjective, and anything that is subjective can be influinced in changing how a home appears, by taking overgrown landscaping and making it neat as a pin, by cleaning out the house to make it feel "better" granted some of this is in extreme cases, but I can see increasing a step or two in the right directing due to making things feel nicer rather than dated, dingy and not well taken care of.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,736 times
Reality TV shows are not reality and all part of the grand illusion, just keep that in mind. Top of the line upgrades do not increase the value up to the dollar amount you pay for them. Most of the time you are better off just cleaning it up and repairing what you need to and pricing it accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate