Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,817 times

Advertisements

Our townhouse is still for sale........still no lookers......still no buyers......

I close on my new house on October 23rd. I'm planning to move slowly - because really...why the rush!? However...I do want to start moving my furniture, etc. into my new house where I will be living.

I know that "stagers" are out there for a reason - but I also hear about people wanting to picture their own stuff in your house.

My question....is it a bad idea to have absolutely NO furniture in your house while selling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
From a recent buyer's prespective, I say yes & no (that doesn't help, does it!)

It was great to see some empty homes b/c you saw the true space & very hard to hid cosmetic problems.

Homes that have stuff in it; well, it helps b/c then you can see if your stuff will fit & look right.

At the same time, some homes are over cluttered & it's hard to see past pictures & decorations & just tons of stuff. Also, you don't see the "true" conditions of some things.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:58 AM

48 posts, read 163,670 times
we are in the same situation and we are leaving 1/2 our stuff here. Our realtor said empty houses do not show as nice and they sell for less - so we are leaving 1/2 of it and it will make the condo look much larger. We are taking our bed though and as I saw on HGTV we are putting in a blow up bed!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,576 times
If your house is priced correctly, I don't think it matters if there is furniture or not. That being said, if you do leave your house vacant, you will need to make sure everything is smudge, nick and scuff free. Those things show up a lot more in a vacant house than they do in a furnished house. If you haven't done it already, I would have your house painted, the carpets cleaned and your whole house professionally cleaned. You might also want to stick an air purifier in there. Houses that are left vacant often get a "vacant" smell to them.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 AM

314 posts, read 1,230,594 times
Default Empty house - not a good idea

If your home is perfect. Perfect paint, perfect flooring, perfect smell, and perfect baseboards... then sell it empty.

Otherwise have is staged. It is worth the money to have a professional stager tell you what to leave. I do this for my clients because I have a knack for it. Maybe your realtor will be able to do this for you. If not, hire someone. Your home will sell faster and the money you would have spent on carrying cost will go towards your stager. In addition your home should sell at a higher price. Also clean your windows inside and out. It is one of the biggest details that people miss!

Good luck!!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 9,993 times
Default Want to buy a house toopen a daycare/afterschool business

Hi,

I will like to begin a search for a house that I can use for the purpose of a family care business and also to run an after school program. I was told that this would need to be "blessed" by NJ Child Services to ensure environmental hazards not on property. All other updates to make the environment child-friendly and safe will be done by me. Can anyone help me to understand how I can go about stating this in contract with sellers? Also, will sellers be reluctant to sell with this condition in contract?

Thanks

Old 10-11-2007, 11:47 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,817 times
Default And....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beached View Post
Hi,

I will like to begin a search for a house that I can use for the purpose of a family care business and also to run an after school program. I was told that this would need to be "blessed" by NJ Child Services to ensure environmental hazards not on property. All other updates to make the environment child-friendly and safe will be done by me. Can anyone help me to understand how I can go about stating this in contract with sellers? Also, will sellers be reluctant to sell with this condition in contract?

Thanks
....this relates to my question HOW?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,843,475 times
Belize, homes show better with furniture than without, however that doesn't mean that you have to have a full house of furniture!! I just staged my brothers empty house for him. I used a card table in the kitchen and put a colorful (striped) table cloth over it, and then 2 chairs I had, with a pretty centerpeice. I have a cookbook rack in the corner of the kitchen counter (where it gets a little dark) with a colorful recipe showing. Thats it for the kitchen. Dining room has the DR table and a couple of chairs, with a white large platter on the table. For the LR I put 2 wingback chairs from my LR in there, with a nice couch and had my brother leave a side cart. I put the cart in one corner to mimic where the TV would go, and the only reason I added the wingbacks (with white slipcovers) was to make the room look larger. Huh? Well,, the way you walk into the LR, you will mentally cross that space off as if it doesn't exist, by placing the chairs there I brought that space back into the LR making it feel larger.

No bedrooms have furniture, but each bathroom has a white fluffy rug and a white shower curtain, and something nice on the counter to give it pizazz and interest. Nothing too large. And big white fluffy towells on the towell holder.

As a previous poster said, when your home has minimal furniture, you MUST have it s p i c and span clean, because it emphasizes those items.

But as you can see staging can be nice and minimalist. Just investing in white shower curtains and towells made a huge improvement in the bathrooms.

shelly

Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Belize, I know you are excited about moving, however I still think it would be wise if you considered not closing (or moving) until you sold your condo.

You said you could only afford two mortgages short term. I honestly don't see your TH selling in the short term unless you drastically cut the price. You said there wasn't any buyers around. As you said in an earlier thread, you are hoping for a miracle.

What are you going to do if the inevitable happens? Just trying to prepare you for a unfortunate financial mess you might be running into down the road. Please don't let the excitement of moving into a new house cloud your judgement on doing the financially sound thing in this case.

Think about it.....

Old 10-12-2007, 05:31 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
What you can do and it's helped my last two buyers who ended up purchasing the vacant homes, is to leave pictures of the house with the furniture in it on the counter. Some people can't visualize with furniture in it and some can't visualize with it out. So, you get both people satisfied with the pictures. They can look at the pictures and see how it could be done and even move things around in their mind from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate