Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM

50 posts, read 99,234 times

Advertisements

I'm having an issue with the HOA and the bylaws. It is stated in the by laws that the HOA covers all pipes within the walls. In one of my walls the pipe has a valve that controls the shut off to the shower. There is no telling when this was done but some of the units have these valves and some dont. The HOA stated to me that they are not responsible for the valve but no where in the by laws does it state this. Only reason I brought this up is because the plumber saw the valve and told me it could break at anytime.
I'm just nervous if the valve pops off and floods my unit and downstairs. Who is responsible??

Thanks in advance

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-17-2012 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: moved from the Dallas TX Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,267 times
It sounds to me like the valve is your responsibly as it is not "inside the wall." If it were to fail you would most likely need to make a claim on your home owners insurance for any damage. That's just a guess and I wouldn't just take anyone's advise on a message board over something like this. You should talk to a lawyer. Although I would suggest you just replace the valve and give yourself some piece of mind.

Btw...bylaws is one word not two.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 AM

50 posts, read 99,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
It sounds to me like the valve is your responsibly as it is not "inside the wall." If it were to fail you would most likely need to make a claim on your home owners insurance for any damage. That's just a guess and I wouldn't just take anyone's advise on a message board over something like this. You should talk to a lawyer. Although I would suggest you just replace the valve and give yourself some piece of mind.
They valve is inside the wall its connected to the pipes in the "walls".

Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Ask the HOA again for clarification.. but it sounds like you should have your plumber replace the valve. Can't be that expensive and alot cheaper and more effective than getting a lawyer involved as someone else suggested.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz003 View Post
"It is stated in the by laws that the HOA covers all pipes within the walls." The HOA's By-Laws [apparently] does not mention (cover) 'valves'. Therefore, 'valves' can be considered to be exclusive of the HOA's responsibility.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I'd bet most of us have in-wall shut-off valves to the shower, usually with an access panel of some sort.
It's more convenient to be able to isolate if change or repair is necessary.
Why does this particular one worry you?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 AM

377 posts, read 576,069 times
Quote:
You mean there's no panels you can access to get to the valve? Usually what they mean by "walls" is those that separate you from your connecting condos and the outside world.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'd bet most of us have in-wall shut-off valves to the shower, usually with an access panel of some sort.

My last two new homes with a total of 5 showers had no such thing. I do not remember such in any other home I owned.

One thing all should learn is where the main water shutoff valve is.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
I'm having an issue with the HOA and the bylaws. It is stated in the by laws that the HOA covers all pipes within the walls. In one of my walls the pipe has a valve that controls the shut off to the shower. There is no telling when this was done but some of the units have these valves and some dont. The HOA stated to me that they are not responsible for the valve but no where in the by laws does it state this. Only reason I brought this up is because the plumber saw the valve and told me it could break at anytime.
I'm just nervous if the valve pops off and floods my unit and downstairs. Who is responsible??

Thanks in advance
I have lived in several condo associations (apartment and townhouse style). Generally the association is responsible for the piping, electrical, etc. that gets "whatever" (let us say water) to your unit. Once inside your unit, you are responsible.

Usually who is responsible for what will be in the Convenants (Deed Restrictions), not in the Bylaws.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
This is probably a situation where local and states laws make a difference. In CA, condo owners own their unit to the inside surface of the walls that define the outermost portion of the unit. The condo association owns everything else. If the valve is on an interior wall, it would be the owners responsibility in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate