Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,031,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
the reason the 900+ are doing well is because money is not an issue.If there is a good buy there are still multiple offers.
I would agree with that and add one caveat:
Many high up buyers are buying on contingency, OR haven't sold their own homes yet. There may be some fall back.
The $900k buyer may still be carrying a $500k house. Real estate takes a while to drop -it is a process, not a crash like the stock market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:40 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,516,713 times
Knife catching. Ain't it fun.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:15 AM

23,891 posts, read 33,633,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Not Charlotte or Raleigh. I live in Charlotte and its definitely a buyers market. High Inventory and sales are down. Same thing in Raleigh. People want to move to these markets but can't sell their homes up north or in the midwest.

Great time to be a buyer in those markets...builders are struggling big time for cash.
I know 2 people that moved down there before it was popular & regretted it. One had a really hard time getting a job and had to move back. The locals knew he was from NJ and didn't like him due to that.

The other I know is a nurse (LPN IIRC), comes to NJ for 6 months to work, staying with friends or renting rooms. She's able to make more here then working down there. She also says that people automatically dislike her due to her accent.

Once you hear negative things like this, it doesn't make it as desirable to move to. People are now going to Tennessee and are reporting back that it's a good place to go.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,741,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I know 2 people that moved down there before it was popular & regretted it. One had a really hard time getting a job and had to move back. The locals knew he was from NJ and didn't like him due to that.

The other I know is a nurse (LPN IIRC), comes to NJ for 6 months to work, staying with friends or renting rooms. She's able to make more here then working down there. She also says that people automatically dislike her due to her accent.

Once you hear negative things like this, it doesn't make it as desirable to move to. People are now going to Tennessee and are reporting back that it's a good place to go.
I think w/all the transplants here (and more on the way) things are somewhat changing. Good or bad its inevitable.

Is Tennessee really that different than N.Carolina in terms of judging northerners? I'm not so sure it would be.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 AM

23,891 posts, read 33,633,562 times
So far the ones I know that went to Tennessee are doing ok and haven't had a problem fitting in other then the kids being teased about their Jersey accents. The teasing isn't serious as the kids did make friends.

Guess time will tell.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:00 PM

72,430 posts, read 18,213,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
I would agree with that and add one caveat:
Many high up buyers are buying on contingency, OR haven't sold their own homes yet. There may be some fall back.
The $900k buyer may still be carrying a $500k house. Real estate takes a while to drop -it is a process, not a crash like the stock market.
How is the Market doing in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate