Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM

72,417 posts, read 18,202,018 times

Advertisements

1. There are more selections.There are plenty of houses for you to choose from

2. No bidding wars. No competition

3. Make an offer,the seller might accept it!

4. You now have time to have home inspections,termite inspections,and wait for the appraisal report.

5. Make repair requests

6. Shop for available financing programs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
That all makes sense, provided that you're ready, willing, and able to stay in your home for a long period of time, and that you'll be able to handle watching prices continue to drop around you for a while before they rebound. If there's any chance that you'd have to move in the next few years, I'd say buying today is a bad move

Old 10-16-2007, 04:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That all makes sense, provided that you're ready, willing, and able to stay in your home for a long period of time, and that you'll be able to handle watching prices continue to drop around you for a while before they rebound. If there's any chance that you'd have to move in the next few years, I'd say buying today is a bad move
**Depending on where don't you think?*** This is exactly the advice that is driving me nuts, and I thought it was only the media doing it....

Old 10-16-2007, 04:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
But, not every single city in the country is seeing such a dramatic drop NOR did they see such a dramatic jump. That is what we are running into for the particular city & area we are moving....small jump & small increase; much less than the rest of the country in comparision.

There are definite issues out there in the RE market, but it's hard to make a blanket statement that every homebuyer who buys now will be losing tons of money.

This mess isn't going to be figured out for several years. By then, who knows what else will have factored into the equation.

I think that people need to look at the area they are wishing to buy in for some areas are so overpriced it is beyond comprehensible. Also, people need to take a LONG, hard look at buying a new home compared to a resale home.

It depends. I think it is very hard to say a definite yes or no b/c so much goes into buying a home other than asking price.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
**Depending on where don't you think?*** This is exactly the advice that is driving me nuts, and I thought it was only the media doing it....
Dead on again Jim. The self -fulfilling prophesies drive me nuts. In 1979 when I first got my license, one of the Seattle newspapers headlined that "mortgage money dries up" (it was there, it just got VERY expensive) the office I worked in went from 140 ad calls a week to 3. People in Seattle lived by the motto "If Boeing sneezes, we all catch a cold"

Markets are the sum total of peoples perceptions of fear and greed. The stock market is a better example of this but if somebody hears or reads that the real estate market is bad more than 3 times, they're going to start repeating it to everyone they know and !Pooof!

I'm grateful every day that I don't participate in the real estate market 25 miles away, much less the ones in the rest of the state or country.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:15 PM

72,417 posts, read 18,202,018 times
Well,these are my opinions,and things I see eveyday here,this is not a hype or media hype.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:54 PM

109 posts, read 391,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Dead on again Jim. The self -fulfilling prophesies drive me nuts. In 1979 when I first got my license, one of the Seattle newspapers headlined that "mortgage money dries up" (it was there, it just got VERY expensive) the office I worked in went from 140 ad calls a week to 3. People in Seattle lived by the motto "If Boeing sneezes, we all catch a cold"

Markets are the sum total of peoples perceptions of fear and greed. The stock market is a better example of this but if somebody hears or reads that the real estate market is bad more than 3 times, they're going to start repeating it to everyone they know and !Pooof!

I'm grateful every day that I don't participate in the real estate market 25 miles away, much less the ones in the rest of the state or country.

Very well put!
Also, does anyone remember the 18% interest rates that were commonplace
over 20 years ago. Doom and gloom...give me a break.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:05 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Can someone give me a major market (or two or three) where inventory isn't above normal and its a sellers market? No one here since I've been on has posted one single market.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 PM

238 posts, read 763,192 times
Don't forget:

7. Being upside down on your mortgage before your furniture arrives.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM

26 posts, read 50,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Oh I absolutely agree with that! I've always felt that the media has made the situation way worse. Constant gloom and doom reports everywhere just cause and perpetuate this severe slowdown in the market. I think otherwise it would have been just a natural correction of the swinging pendulum to a more normal market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate