Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:38 PM

47 posts, read 98,821 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

My house in Teaneck NJ is for sale or rent, and has been on the market since last summer. I've reduced the price by 16%, but still no buyers (plenty of lookers, though!). A potential tenant has asked if I will do a rent-to-own.

Three questions, please:
1. What are the pluses and minuses from my perspective of doing a rent-to-own?
2. Does the tenant pay a premium over the rent to go toward the purchase price, and if so, how big a premium?
3. Some sites make it seem that in a rent-to-own, repairs are the tenant's responsibility. Is this so?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 PM

11,020 posts, read 22,069,725 times
If you're having to ask these type of questions you should probably hire either a Realtor or Property Manager to help you. Not trying to be rude or insulting but it's the best advice I have for you.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM

15,614 posts, read 40,583,585 times
You'd want a real estate agent or attorney. Lease options can be tricky because you need to know what your local landlord tenant laws say you can and can't do.

You also need to read your mortgage deed because an option agreement can trigger the due-on-sale clause for some mortgage deeds.

These are just a little too complicated for an online forum.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM

634 posts, read 1,561,786 times
In Texas it would be an attorney to write this up. I do not recommend you do this without legal advice, it could be disasterous!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.

I do have an attorney, but am asking now at a preliminary stage so I'm better informed when I talk with the attorney. I guess what I'm asking about is more on the business side of things.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM

...or, to put it differently, is the description of the process, for example, at HowStuffWorks "How Rent-to-own Homes Work" pretty accurate?

Old 03-01-2009, 08:50 PM

43,501 posts, read 77,483,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormike View Post
Hi, all.

My house in Teaneck NJ is for sale or rent, and has been on the market since last summer. I've reduced the price by 16%, but still no buyers (plenty of lookers, though!). A potential tenant has asked if I will do a rent-to-own.

Three questions, please:
Shoot!

Quote:
1. What are the pluses and minuses from my perspective of doing a rent-to-own?
You will have some cash generated from the property rather than having it sit empty. I see a lot of homes that sit empty for a long time, and they tend to deteriorate from vacancy and neglect.
And you may get into contract with someone who destroys the place and walks away from their deposit and balance.
You may not be able to sell to a currently ready, willing, and able buyer since it is tied up for a year or two with the contract.
The home may appraise for less than the agreed price. No Deal.
If you have to retake possession, will you be evicting, or foreclosing? The laws in those distinctly different events are distinctly different.

If your attorney has any wits, he can describe multiple additional pitfalls, and possibly a few benefits....

Quote:
2. Does the tenant pay a premium over the rent to go toward the purchase price, and if so, how big a premium?
It is all negotiable and should be based on the home, price, comps, etc. Any premium should be earmarked and escrowed to put towards the down payment when the tenant/buyer goes for financing. It should be clear in the contract whether any or all of the overage above market rent is refundable.

Quote:
3. Some sites make it seem that in a rent-to-own, repairs are the tenant's responsibility. Is this so?
Advantage: Seller. Trying to get the tenant/buyer to feel they are owners, so they will take good care of the property. This way, if the Seller has to take possession back, they have a chance of not getting a trashed property back.
Question to be addressed in contract: May the tenant/buyer make improvements, and if so, how, if at all, will they be compensated if the sale is not consummated?

Quote:
Thanks!
You betcha!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM

733 posts, read 4,661,682 times
I presume you either have no mortgage or you've advised your mortgagee of this plan and it has no objection? That will be your first step to make sure you don't run afoul of a "not owner occupied" or "no rent" default provision in your mortgage.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:46 AM

238 posts, read 764,485 times
Lots of people rent out their houses, and I suspect few, or none, send notices to the people who're servicing their mortgages. Nor do I think they care, so long as the monthly check comes in.

Rent to own is generally a better deal for the seller than the buyer. Your tenant will hopefully take better care of the property, may take on more (or even all) of the maintenance, and may even pay a premium, or option fee.

The only disadvantage to you, really, is you can't sell it. But if you could sell it, you'd have done that by now.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,775,623 times
Just to add: Rent to own or a contract for deed can be terrible for the buyer because of the seller's ability to encumber the title without the buyer's knowledge. The buyer can fulfill the contract and find when she tries to get clear title on the house that there's a lien on it. She would have a right to the property, but it could be a mess trying to get the title cleared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate