Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM

396 posts, read 1,851,270 times

Advertisements

Houses for sale on cul-de-sac streets are "hidden" from most traffic. So, realtors place a sign on the busier street that points out that there is a house for sale down that particular cul-de-sac.

I've been noticing lots of signs that are stuck in front yards with arrows pointing far down the cul-de-sac to the actual house that's on sale. Obviously, the realtor would need permission from the house owner to place the sign on someone else's property. Do these home owners get compensated for allowing signage on their property? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 PM

115 posts, read 368,794 times
I know if I found a sign on my property it would disappear awfully quickly

Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
I know if I found a sign on my property it would disappear awfully quickly
Some of us ask permission before we put our signs on someone's property.
Although I never offer payment for that sign placement, if the homeowner allows it I usually respond with a thank you a week or so later, in the form of a bottle of wine, or a gift certificate to a local restaurant or business.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM

115 posts, read 368,794 times
I would have no issue if the realtor came up and chatted it up and he was a nice guy or gal. Might even take the business card for the future. Never hurts to know more people and have favors out. I don't think I'd be comfortable accepting payment though.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Most do not ask, because they are placed in a location that is actually city/county right-of-way, despite looking like it's on someone's property. Here the sign ordinance allows for only two of those directional signs, one at the cross street on each side.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
My village does a weekly sweep of all signage place on public easements.

Some municipalities and/or HOAs prohibit all signage.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,413,812 times
If you are on a corner lot with a stop sign, in my city, that is a public right of way. Those homeowners will have an easement across their property. That said, in my city, you can't place any long term signs in the right of way. Open house directional signs/garage sale signs are fine, but there is a limit on how long they can be in the right of way. So directional signs are rare in my city and are done by agents that violate the city codes.

Honestly, it is nice. Otherwise some corners would be cluttered with signs. In this day and age with internet search and GPS, the need to put up directional signs is waning.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Make too much fuss and the Realtor can put a sign on their car and park it at the curb instead. Unless the sign is an eyesore, why not let the Realtor go about their business. Besides, that that house doesn't sell, you never know, it could end up as a foreclosure, vacant and attracting crime. Better to have buyers going down the street and the other types.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
Along these lines. I know of a business that was sort of buried in the back of a strip mall. They bought an old delivery truck, registered it, had it painted and signs for the business put on it. They then parked it in an parking place (24/7) easily seen from the street. Every few days they would push the truck (it could not run) into a new spot. The business owner said the cost/effort was well worth it.

I know another business that put a portable sign on top of their car and parked the car where all could see it. Each day he took the sign down when he drove home.

There is usually a way around local sign ordinances especially if only up for a short period of time like Open House realty signs and up on weekends only. Them city inspectors like their weekends off..........LOL

I know many realtors say Open Houses are passe' but I believe they might be coming back. Many people get online for sale listings (no realtor involved) and ride around looking (especially locals that know the areas they are interested in) and if there is an Open House sign, they will stop and look. Also Open House signs on a busy street can attract those that just happen to be using the street to get somewhere to say let us take a look. Maybe some of them were just heading somewhere after spending time with an agent (for a drink maybe as in after spending time with a realtor, one needs a drink) and they just happened to see the Open House sign.

If a seller, I want my agent using all the tricks even those considered passe' by some.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,535 times
My MLS has a mobile app that allows you to ride down a block and identify all homes within a certain radius that are for sale. That might help to increase traffic to open houses and lessen the need for signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate