Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times

Advertisements

I recommend that you have your current listing agent to take you to see several "active" listings in your price range. Try especially hard to see the homes that are priced $10-25,000 below yours but with similar square footage, age, and other features. Be as objective as you can be, it's a learning trip where you are trying to see if your property is really overpriced.

After that trip, maybe you will have a better understanding of whether the house is priced right or not being marketed best by your current agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 AM

410 posts, read 1,293,558 times
I like how one of the first comments is that the agent may be "making up feedback" LOL Actually I've dealt with several buyers who insist on seeing homes that don't meet one of their criteria.. sometimes they decide it's ok and other times they realize they really do need that 3rd car garage or whatever it is..

otherwise you've gotten good advices, so I'll leave it at that

Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I recommend that you have your current listing agent to take you to see several "active" listings in your price range. Try especially hard to see the homes that are priced $10-25,000 below yours but with similar square footage, age, and other features. Be as objective as you can be, it's a learning trip where you are trying to see if your property is really overpriced.

After that trip, maybe you will have a better understanding of whether the house is priced right or not being marketed best by your current agent.
That's a great suggestion, but we moved 1000 miles away, so seeing other listings won't work. But I'll "modify" your idea and ask her questions about the points you mentioned.

Perhaps we truly did overpay when we bought (though I didn't think so at the time---we looked at almost 40 houses before we fell in love with this one), and we certainly wouldn't have spent so much on improvements if we knew we'd end up moving less than a year later.

We may just need to bite the bullet and take a significant loss. We have decided to keep the same realtor, and hope that the spring market brings a buyer soon.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Sometimes you just have to wait for the buyer to come along. Personally I wouldn't be looking at homes in the dead of winter in Indiana either.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
I'm curious as to why you didn't use the agent who worked with you to buy the house to put it back on the market last year. Do you care to share?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I'm curious as to why you didn't use the agent who worked with you to buy the house to put it back on the market last year. Do you care to share?
Reasonable question (one I kept waiting for someone to ask)

When we made that move (from Massachusetts to Indiana), I didn't really know many realtors in Indy, so we worked with an old friend of mine. She lived in a southwestern suburb, and we were looking in a northern suburb, but she was willing to help us out and make the 30+ mile drive to show us houses. When it came time to sell, I wanted someone who knew Indy's north side really well, so we asked the woman who had represented the sellers when we bought it.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
That's a great suggestion, but we moved 1000 miles away, so seeing other listings won't work. But I'll "modify" your idea and ask her questions about the points you mentioned.

Perhaps we truly did overpay when we bought (though I didn't think so at the time---we looked at almost 40 houses before we fell in love with this one), and we certainly wouldn't have spent so much on improvements if we knew we'd end up moving less than a year later.

We may just need to bite the bullet and take a significant loss. We have decided to keep the same realtor, and hope that the spring market brings a buyer soon.

Thanks, everyone, for your input!
Oh, wow.... I hear you now. If you will send me your e-mail via private message, I'll send you one of the best pricing programs which I have ever seen. This will be a absolutely no charge or obligation to you whatsoever!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
Quote:
Reasonable question (one I kept waiting for someone to ask)

When we made that move (from Massachusetts to Indiana), I didn't really know many realtors in Indy, so we worked with an old friend of mine. She lived in a southwestern suburb, and we were looking in a northern suburb, but she was willing to help us out and make the 30+ mile drive to show us houses. When it came time to sell, I wanted someone who knew Indy's north side really well, so we asked the woman who had represented the sellers when we bought it.
That makes sense, obviously when she worked for the sellers of your home she impressed you enough to hire her.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
There's certainly truth in that. I thought we bought it for a good price at the end of 2011, but our current asking price is quite a loss on our investment. We don't want to "give it away."
It is always about price. What they are really saying is I don't want a pond on the property "at this price" or I don't want a downstairs MBR "at this price". You're getting that feedback a lot, you need to drop the price.

And what is this "We don't want to give it away."? Who's asking you to give it away? When you hear of someone giving a house away let me know, I might be interested. It's worth what the buyers think it's worth, not what you have in it or what you want for it. The buyers are telling you they don't think it's worth what you're asking. You said your agent had a lot of showings so he/she must be doing something right. Drop the price and sell it.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 AM

820 posts, read 1,069,044 times
It never hurts to get a second opinion or even a third. Ask your agent about their marketing plan and then compare it to the others that you talk to. Some agents feel it is all about price while others are true sales people that know how to illustrate the benefits of your home to help you get top dollar for it.

If the other homes in the area are selling and yours isn't getting activity that is a clue. You should look at the "absorption rate" in your area to figure out how many months of standing inventory there is. If you listing is nearing that with no signs of success, you might recall the old saying: "The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing while expecting a different result".

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate