Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 PM

8 posts, read 22,414 times

Advertisements

Our house is on the market. We were notified that we would have 4 showings today with he last one ending at 4pm. We came home after 4 and started making dinner. At 4:50 some real estate agent starts unlocking the door so i go answer. He was extremely rude. He asks me if we were notified of a showing. I tell him no, and ask if the showing was from 4 to 5 because i waspositive we were not notified of any at that time. He then tells me the showing was scheduled from 3 to 5. They then leave.

What should i do about this? I called my real estate people but cannot get ahold of anybody.

Also we have never had a 2 hour showing scheduled, is this normal?

This guy was super rude! Is there anytbing i can do about that?

I am just a little upset right now and not sure what to do.....

Last edited by carrotsandpeas; 02-16-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:36 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default My experience

with 63 showings
My experience was "at 4" meant sometime between 1600 and 1700.
We once had someone show up at 1659. Very annoying. We had been sitting in our car 1/2 block away for 59 minutes. We waited another 12 minutes. They did not buy.

Last edited by davebarnes; 02-16-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Yes, it is annoying. Yes, it is disruptive. But, you are the ones trying to sell your house. I would do my best to shut your mouth, smile, and invite them in. They could have been the people who would have bought your house. I wouldn't alienate buyers or agents.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,796,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotsandpeas View Post
Our house is on the market. We were notified that we would have 4 showings today with he last one being at 4pm. We came home after 4 and started making dinner. At 4:50 some real estate agent starts unlocking the door so i go answer. He was extremely rude. He asks me if we were notified of a showing. I tell him no, and ask if the showing was from 4 to 5 because i waspositive we were not notified of any at that time. He then tells me the showing was scheduled from 3 to 5. They then leave.

What should i do about this? I called my real estate people but cannot get ahold of anybody.

Also we have never had a 2 hour showing scheduled, is this normal?

This guy was super rude! Is there anytbing i can do about that?

I am just a little upset right now and not sure what to do.....
Grin and bear it. We have ugly RE Agents just like in every other profession.

There are a couple I would love to push over a cliff but morality and good judgements prevent it.

Call their broker and vent your spleen. Then get on with life.

Most of us try to be civil...but there are always a few @*$(@#&s in the herd.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, it is annoying. Yes, it is disruptive. But, you are the ones trying to sell your house. I would do my best to shut your mouth, smile, and invite them in. They could have been the people who would have bought your house. I wouldn't alienate buyers or agents.
Wow that is quite rude of you. I am upset by the way the agent spoke to me, he threw a hissy fit and stormed off with his client. Why are you assuming that i alienated anybody? Why are you assuming i was in a position to leave my house at all? Everyone else here has had good input, you are just assumptive and rude.

I do need to clarify however, the last showing was ended at 4 not started at.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I actually think your opinion is a very good one. The sellers are the ones selling their homes and if they want someone to buy it, they need to let people in. That means sellers have to be prepared to be inconvenienced unless they plan on moving out prior to putting the house on the market.

If you're planning on living in your house while selling it, you have to be prepared for miscommunication on showings, and just let people in the door. It doesn't mean you have to leave. You can sit on your patio. You can walk down the street. You can sit on your couch and read a magazine. Just let the buyers in as you never know what buyer is going to be the one to love your house.

Yes, 2 hour windows are common. 1 hour windows are common. We run late because some buyers spend 2 minutes at one house and then 45 minutes at another house. We run early because, again, some buyers spend 2 minutes in each house and you don't know that in advance. You have to be ok with an agent running late or early because they have a highly motivated buyer in their car with them!!

Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM

4 children under the age of 4 who were about the to start eating their dinner. Takes us a minimum of 30 minutes to get out of the house. No such thing as quiet or anything else. I have no issue with making accomodations when possible, but when i have a buyers agent screaming at me in front of his clients, that i am not ok with. Especially when it is not my fault. So having people tell me that i need to shut up and deal with it is not ok. I should not be screamed at by anybody, much less an agent.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,536,435 times
One way to possibly alleviate part of this problem is to put a note asking RE agents to please leave their card at showing. That way, if you have a 1:00 - 3:00 showing and you get home @ 2:00 p.m. and there's no card you know they haven't come yet. In some markets where I have lived leaving a card is standard practice and in others it is not.

Mr. Dokie also got pretty good looking for footprints in the freshly vacuumed carpet.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
One way to possibly alleviate part of this problem is to put a note asking RE agents to please leave their card at showing. That way, if you have a 1:00 - 3:00 showing and you get home @ 2:00 p.m. and there's no card you know they haven't come yet. In some markets where I have lived leaving a card is standard practice and in others it is not.

Mr. Dokie also got pretty good looking for footprints in the freshly vacuumed carpet.
While i agree with what you are saying, that is not the issue. There were no showings scheduled at this time. The last showing was scheduled to end 50 minutes before this rude agent showed up. I cant help it if nothing is scheduled and i am home.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotsandpeas View Post
While i agree with what you are saying, that is not the issue. There were no showings scheduled at this time. The last showing was scheduled to end 50 minutes before this rude agent showed up. I cant help it if nothing is scheduled and i am home.
You need to call your agent and find out why they said 4 and the buyer agent thinks it was 3-5. I personally don't allow two hour windows for showings for my clients. An agent can hit a one hour window with the exception of rural properties. They can have a two hour window.

Find out what happened with the showing times and make sure your agent is on the ball with it. If it happens in the future, just politely say there must have been a miscommunication between agents. Then just let them know you started dinner for the kids, but they are welcome to do a quick walk through while you are there. (assuming you are okay with that).

Don't worry about the rude agent. You had 4 showings in one day. Something is going right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate