Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It isn't about the interest deduction.
It's about the yield of that money ($Y) invested for X years.

One example of doing better than parking cash in a house: LINK
Yup. You'd have to work pretty hard NOT to beat 3.5% average over 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Well, that is just a gamble. You would be taking a risk to assume you can make good investments and not loose money. The world economy is a mess, baby boomers are retiring and just beginning to sell off stocks and take 401k distributions (more stock sell offs) and many other factors that this economy has never seen.

If you're basing your investment advice on the fact that the last 30 years have been good so the next 30 will be even better, you might have a rude awakening.

Personally, its not worth the risk. Not in this economy. Not for your primary residence.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:49 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
No, it isn't all about it. But it's a good tax break and will help build her credit. And she can take out a 15 year mortgage or pay off the mortgage early, anyway.

Quote:
Obviously. Still, it's not a great idea for someone so young to pay total cash for a house, IMO. She can do that when she's closer to retirement (and some would say that even then, it's a good idea to keep a small mortgage).

Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
. I have no interest in paying for 30 years ?
No pun intended?

But seriously, I would probably pay cash for it. Could you make out better with a mortgage and invest the money? Sure. Will you? Who knows.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,788 times
If you buy and hold high-quality stocks, you will ride out any ups-and-downs in the market place. Will Exxon continue to make money? Will Coca-Cola? That answer is 'yes'. Unless the whole system falls apart, in which case where she's put her money will be the least of her worries. If you're betting it will fail, then buy lots of canned goods and head for the hills.

If she plays the markets, the odds of losing it all are high. But that's not 'investing'...that's gambling.

Putting all her eggs into a basket marked 'house' will limit her options and leave her with little ready-cash to answer the inevitable needs/wants that arise. You might be able to use the house for collateral for a loan if a bank agrees that what you want the money for is worthwhile...but why not just keep some cash on hand? There may be opportunities approaching that she will not be able to take advantage of without ready cash.

If I were in her shoes -- or my daughter was -- I'd make a large down-payment. As much as 50%. Her mortgage will be less (and the point about improving credit is a good one) and she'll still have plenty of cash-on-hand. If she had repairs to make or changes she wants, she'll have the money to do what's needed immediately. And if she loses her job or her health goes south, she won't be wondering why left herself house-poor.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
If you buy and hold high-quality stocks, you will ride out any ups-and-downs in the market place. Will Exxon continue to make money? Will Coca-Cola? That answer is 'yes'. Unless the whole system falls apart, in which case where she's put her money will be the least of her worries. If you're betting it will fail, then buy lots of canned goods and head for the hills.

If she plays the markets, the odds of losing it all are high. But that's not 'investing'...that's gambling.

Putting all her eggs into a basket marked 'house' will limit her options and leave her with little ready-cash to answer the inevitable needs/wants that arise. You might be able to use the house for collateral for a loan if a bank agrees that what you want the money for is worthwhile...but why not just keep some cash on hand? There may be opportunities approaching that she will not be able to take advantage of without ready cash.

If I were in her shoes -- or my daughter was -- I'd make a large down-payment. As much as 50%. Her mortgage will be less (and the point about improving credit is a good one) and she'll still have plenty of cash-on-hand. If she had repairs to make or changes she wants, she'll have the money to do what's needed immediately. And if she loses her job or her health goes south, she won't be wondering why left herself house-poor.
How do you know the OP won't have significant cash even after the purchase?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:

One example of doing better than parking cash in a house: LINK

Good example.

Basically the question is can I earn more money then it is costing me to borrow it?

I say with mortgage rates so low, I lean toward borrowing for a mortage and using my money to make me money.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But it's a good tax break and will help build her credit.
Credit scores are only good for people who like to pay interest. If you have a large inheritance and/or live within your means, you will never need to apply for credit, ever again.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I say with mortgage rates so low, I lean toward borrowing for a mortage and using my money to make me money.
So, would you remortgage your home or do a HELOC and take all that money and put it into the stock market? With your train of thought, you can't loose eh?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
So, would you remortgage your home or do a HELOC and take all that money and put it into the stock market? With your train of thought, you can't loose eh?
Aren't HELOC repayment periods either MUCH shorter or the interest rates MUCH higher? That makes it much riskier, but if I could lock in 3.5% over 30 years, I'd do it.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 04-06-2013 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate