Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 17,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Here in NY, we have to retain attorneys for real estate transactions anyway, so I would ask my attorney to get a formal release from the contract before signing up with a new agent. The last thing you want is the old agent showing up at your closing with his hand out, demanding a commission.

Yes, switch agents if you can. And if prospective agents aren't getting back to you now, assume it will only get worse once they have your listing.

I wish I could offer you advice on how to choose an agent, but so many times, it's a crapshoot. The only thing I would suggest is that you pick someone who does it for a career and needs the money. Here on Long Island, we have idle housewives who become real estate agents just to occupy their time. They are very often amateurs and it shows.
Unfortunately, we do not use attorneys here but I believe, from what I read online, I ask for an unconditional release in writing from the agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 AM

12 posts, read 17,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How far off your asking price was the one offer?
How far off your asking price have you been advised to ask for instead?
The first offer was $25K away, the counter offer (to my counteroffer) was $20K away. I've been advised to stay within $10-$15K of my asking price.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellinginmd2013 View Post
The first offer was $25K away, the counter offer (to my counteroffer) was $20K away.
Can you think of ANY objective reason for this?

In light of no other offers coming in the suspicion becomes that the same "asking too much"
that applies to 98% of other such situations... will apply here too.
Quote:
I've been advised to stay within $10-$15K of my asking price.
By whom? On what basis?

getting back to the numbers and filling in the blanks...
you're asking $150,000, were offered $125,000; but "adviser" says $135 is ok.
you're asking $225,000, were offered $200,000; but "adviser" says $210 is ok.

In both instances the implication is that no more than $10k or $15k is at issue.
That screams price issue -or- something obvious and expensive like an old furnace or roof.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default I think you should change

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellinginmd2013 View Post
The first offer was $25K away, the counter offer (to my counteroffer) was $20K away. I've been advised to stay within $10-$15K of my asking price.
your nom de plume to NOTsellinginMD2013

Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny72 View Post
I am curious about what others have to say...As I am in a similar situation. I have on idea how much contact you should have with your agent but I have none unless I contact them.
How much commission are they going to get after the sale? Forget all the stuff about what they end up with after the broker blah blah blah, that is their problem not yours.

Take that amount and ask yourself one simple question. If someone was going to give you that much money for what work you think is involved, would you communicate according to the wishes of the person paying you the money or or own?

You might read some comments about agents being busy and so on. That is also their problem, not yours.

Be fair though, if you didn't make your expectation clear when you engaged them, then that is your fault.

Sounds like your forgot who owns the house and who will pay whom after the sale. The agent doesn't own the house and they aren't selling it either. They are helping you sell it. For that you are going to pay through the nose. You can't get a phone call? See ya.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
About your question on interviewing other agents while you are still listed with your current agent. In many areas it's part of a code of ethics on the realtors part, not yours, to not talk to a person about listing their house behind another agent's back.

When the agents are interviewed you ask them for their marketing plan? If they don't follow through they can be in a position where they are essentially firing themselves.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 AM

81 posts, read 232,615 times
Just my opinion..Occam's Razor/the simplest answer is often correct

Real Estate Agents/Agencies sell services...you are hiring services
Don't like the service then find a new provider
and
Personally I think..is busy doesn't have time to is not a legit excuse for a Service Provider for a huge financial transaction..your transaction.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Sorry for your feelings, and all agents are not the same! You need to probably communicate better and at least tell the agent what your thoughts are, as they could easily work or try to do a better job with what you want. With the Hi-tech world were in, emails, texts, voice and etc, should not be a problem keeping you in the loop. After each showing, I always ask for feedback, and just simple things like, did not like, location, and sometimes price is a problem, as buyers always think, its still a recession and buyers have to sell as the media has caused too many false concerns! Good luck, and give your agent one last chance and be clear what you expect.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
I think communication expectations vary from person to person and you need to be clear with your agent.

Many agents will get in touch weekly with updates on your listing...even if there is nothing to update. Some sellers expect phone calls or other updates daily. Have you been clear up front with your expectations?

Not all buyers leave feedback...or the agent doesn't bother passing it on. I always call and ask, but that doesn't mean I get a response.

It does sound like your agent and I think you said buyers (not just the one offer) have given you feedback that the price is too high.

So what is it that you want to hear? Is there any information you think needs to be communicated that has not been? Or are you really just frustrated that your house hasn't sold yet?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I think communication expectations vary from person to person and you need to be clear with your agent.

Many agents will get in touch weekly with updates on your listing...even if there is nothing to update. Some sellers expect phone calls or other updates daily. Have you been clear up front with your expectations?
^^^This. During listing presentations I am clear about how much communication people will get from me. I've had people ask if they can get daily updates, and I honestly don't have that capacity. I would never be their agent because they would be disappointed in me from the get go. Weekly updates are easily done, and if an agent is so busy well...that is why we have assistants to handle some of the workload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate