Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,746,461 times

Advertisements

The key is to not overpay for your home. In our area, thanks to low inventory, the agents are convincing sellers that their properties will be worth $100K more next year. They are telling the sellers that they should capture some of the upside now in the form of higher asking prices or by being intransigent in negotiations. Smart buyers aren't falling for this.

There are several problems with renting, at least where I live. First, you can end up paying double per year what you would pay in expenses if you owned the property. (However, you can offset some of this through wise investing of the proceeds of your previous home, although you will also not benefit from any tax advantages related to home ownership.) Second, the average rental is often not in great condition and the highest prices obviously go to those places with new kitchens and baths, etc. Third, at the same time you are paying higher rent each year, you are not sharing in any of the upside that may come with owning a home.

I would gladly rent if I could find a suitable place that was modestly priced and that I could really treat as my own for the next few years. I know. Dream on . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM

3,600 posts, read 6,802,064 times
Yes and No...as always the answer depends on location.

In some places rents are sky high compared what it costs to own. Rents are high in the zipcode where I live compared to cost of owning.

$3000 a month for 3000 square foot house. Vs. paying about $350-400K for a 3000 square foot house in the same desirable location.

You can probably put 10% or less down and still end up paying less in mortgage (this includes real estate taxes, insurance, hoa etc) than paying for rents for 5 years. Probably looking at mortgage/interests/taxes less than $2400. Factor in tax savings from interest/property taxes. That real number becomes closer to $2000 a month.

The "break even" point is probably closer to 3 years than 5 years.

Of course people will say you are "tying down or putting dead weight money with a downpayment" while you can invest it. I won't get into that argument. I see both sides.

It's very hard to rent a nice single family house for 5 years with kids and pets. Too much instability cause you never know if landlord will raise rents or not renew your lease.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,041,288 times
This is completely location dependent.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 AM

115 posts, read 370,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
The key is to not overpay for your home. In our area, thanks to low inventory, the agents are convincing sellers that their properties will be worth $100K more next year. They are telling the sellers that they should capture some of the upside now in the form of higher asking prices or by being intransigent in negotiations. Smart buyers aren't falling for this.

There are several problems with renting, at least where I live. First, you can end up paying double per year what you would pay in expenses if you owned the property. (However, you can offset some of this through wise investing of the proceeds of your previous home, although you will also not benefit from any tax advantages related to home ownership.) Second, the average rental is often not in great condition and the highest prices obviously go to those places with new kitchens and baths, etc. Third, at the same time you are paying higher rent each year, you are not sharing in any of the upside that may come with owning a home.

I would gladly rent if I could find a suitable place that was modestly priced and that I could really treat as my own for the next few years. I know. Dream on . . .
They're probably out there but rent super fast. I live in a college town with a law school and medical school. I signed a tenant for 3 years (they wanted 5 years) last week. Nice family home is a big change from the usual rentals in town and we had insane interest. We had 10-12 appointments over 2 mornings after ad was up, and 3 qualified tenants to pick from that were all starting medical fellowships or residencies. Ad was up for less then 24 hours.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:29 PM

686 posts, read 1,775,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
They're probably out there but rent super fast. I live in a college town with a law school and medical school. I signed a tenant for 3 years (they wanted 5 years) last week. Nice family home is a big change from the usual rentals in town and we had insane interest. We had 10-12 appointments over 2 mornings after ad was up, and 3 qualified tenants to pick from that were all starting medical fellowships or residencies. Ad was up for less then 24 hours.
Nice.

BTW, do you own these rentals? If you do, do you manage the renting process yourself or do you have professionals do that for you? (Also, if you don't mind, it will be nice to know the town or state or region where the rentals are. I will understand if you don't want to share specifics.)

Old 04-15-2013, 03:45 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,746,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
In our market, they are out there, but at $5K-$7K per month or more. It very much depends on your mortgage. For someone like me -- probably paying all cash for my next home -- the economics simply don't work. I can buy and end up with carrying costs that are half the above amount or less. Plus, I have the upside of any appreciation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate